Most viewed thread

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Follow-up:

1. I have added a rating system to threads. The rating is in stars (1-5 with 5 the best) and it is found in the upper right corner of the thread. Please rate threads! It is anonymous and it will help the wheat rise from the chaff.

2. I have added a page with a list of threads with the most replies and the highest average rating. Of course, the rating list will grow as more threads are rated. http://sbo.sailboatowners.com/popular.php

3. I'm not sure where to put this in the menu. The Forums tab is already too full. New Posts isn't right. It could have a link under the one of the Forum categories, perhaps. What do you think?

4. I ran a list of the most viewed threads and surprisingly, it turned out to be garbage. I think those counts get corrupted by bots and crawlers; anything that hits the page will drive up the count. Among the top 20 were two threads with no replies, one was a simple member introduction and the other was even less. It didn't pass the eye test so I did not complete it.

Thoughts?

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I ran a list of the most viewed threads and surprisingly, it turned out to be garbage. I think those counts get corrupted by bots and crawlers; anything that hits the page will drive up the count.
Does the pop up preview count as "viewed"?
I preview many because titles like "help" "New to forum" "Don't Know" can be a big time consumer to read.
One thing I have noticed is a "many page" thread has a bunch of repeat comments. That tells me that they don't read them from start.
I have to admit that, in my impatience to answer a question within my knowledge base, I may speed read and miss a point ( in mid comment) by others.

This is the reason...

I Try to Focus or List..
1) Key points
2) Color Codes
3) Jokes :cowbell::laugh::ass:

BUT....

Each has his own "non correct" Styles and methods.

Therefore...
Does a count really help us?
Jim...