Morse Controls, shift and throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Horvath

Our throttle backs off while motoring. We're using a bungee strap to hold it down. How do you increase the friction drag on a MV2 Morse Control?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Special Morse clamp

Steve: Morse makes a "J" clamp specifically for use on their cables. Morse Part Number 044386 cost about $16. This was recommended by the Yanmar service tech. Suppose to be better than the "crusher" types.

L

Leon Maraist

Throttle

When I purchased my 95 336 new it had the same problem so I brought it in and they made some sort of adjustment that fixed the problem. I don't know what they did but it could not have been anything major as they did it right away.

S

Scott

U-clamp

We had the same problem on our 340. The dealer had installed a u clamp down by the fule control unit near the end of the cable. I read here last year that people had more success on the control lever end. Itried that and it worked great. There is also an adjustment at the engine end of the the cable to "tension" it. Check your Yanmar manual. Scott

D

Don Curt

Same throttle back off problem

I have the same problem. Can't let go of the throttle over 2000 rpm or it slides back. I don't understand the advise the prior people have given. Can anyone please clarify exactly what needs to be done? Thanks.

D

Don Curt

Same throttle slip problem

For some reason my previous reply did not get added to the response queue. Anyway, I have the same problem with holding the throttle position above 2000 rpm, it slips back. I was asking if anyone can expand on the previous replies with exactly what the recommended solution was that helped. Thanks,

Dec 2, 1999
Don C here see here.

Don: First, there may or may not be a small adjustment screw on the cable on your boat. My Y/S pedestal has a set screw under the compass that allow tensioning within the pedestal. Second, Morse makes a cable clamp that was recommended by the Yanmar dealer. It looks like a "J" and has a bolt and adjustment nut. I will take a picture of it this weekend and post it on the Photo Forum. This clamp is suppose to be placed as close as possible to the control end (pedestal). Some of the clamps are what they refer to as crusher clamps. They are just two pieces of metal plate that have a bolt through both sides. You tighten one side and then the other until it squeezes your cable to add friction between the housing and the cable inside. I hope that this helps

D

Don Curt

Looking the wrong way

Steve, thanks. I was looking under the "ice bucket" aft toward the wheel at the cable. I will look the other way under the compass and see if there is a clamp. ps, couldn't come up with such a catchy title as you did.

Dec 2, 1999
Not a clamp under the compass

Don: There may be a set screw under the compass but I don't think you will find a clamp there. I do not think there is enough room. You may want to check the entire length of the cable to see if there is ANY clamp but it would/should be accessable so you could get a wrench on it to tighten. When you look under the compass use a flashlight and see if there is a "set screw". This allowed for minor tension only. If you find one and decide to tighten be carful because you can strip them out. I think that they are brass. You will probably need to purchase the Morse if you do not have one.

Dec 2, 1999
Not a clamp under the compass

Don: There may be a set screw under the compass but I don't think you will find a clamp there. I do not think there is enough room. You may want to check the entire length of the cable to see if there is ANY clamp but it would/should be accessable so you could get a wrench on it to tighten. When you look under the compass use a flashlight and see if there is a "set screw". This allowed for minor tension only. If you find one and decide to tighten be carful because you can strip them out. I think that they are brass. You will probably need to purchase the Morse if you do not have one.

D

Don Curt

No clamp to be found

OK, I have thoroughly traced the throttle cable and there is no clamp to be found. In the process though I totally maintained my cable ends, linkages, sterring chain, cable and wheel. Funny how you get side tracked. Anyway, my throttle cable goes straight down the pedestal near the stering cable sheeves, then bends under the deck and into the aft cabin... under the floor along the shaft and into the engine compartment. I can only think the thing to do is buy the suggested J clamp and add it in the aft cabin (the most accessable place).

Status
Not open for further replies.