Morgan hydraulic steering problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2005
- - New Bern, NC
My 28 years old Scheel-designed, Morgan-built 45' ketch has been having some hydraulic steering problems. It all began with loss of air pressure + fluid in the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Refilling and re-pressurizing made the system operational again, but only for 5-6 hours. A leak somewhere was suspected but none could be found, reason why we ended up replacing most of the copper tubing in the system and rebuilding the cylinders, following which a new problem cropped up: we could bleed the air out of the port turn side (as per instructions), but not completely out of the starboard turn side. This has left us with unreliable steering capabilities. The opinions of the "experts" vary from: "you don't know what you're doing" (bleeding the air out of the system, even though we have successfully done it many times before), "a bad air venting box", "a bad helm steering pump" (at the binnacle), "the autopilot's pump has been installed wrong" (even though it has been working fine for 28 years and the exisiting pump is only 7 years old). Has any poor soul out there had similar problems and if so, what was the cause and the solution. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Raf "I can teach a man how to sail; I cannnot teach him why".

A

A-P Templet

Hynautic Problems

Ahoy Raf! We are owned by Pelican, a M462 (1981 #077) with the same setup. If you have replaced all of the copper tubing, and rebuilt the hyd cyl., and can find no leaks I'd ahve to guess that the problem is going to be in the Helm unit. The only problem is that for the helm unit to lose pressure, it has to bleed 12-24 Oz (350 - 750 cc) of hydraulic fluid. The helm unit is rebuldable and I have done so on the boat in Mexico, but I'd recommend a vise. Where are you located? Best, ap

Status
Not open for further replies.