Morgan 34

Jan 10, 2015
Morgan 34 Morgan 34 shoal draft Charlotte Harbour
I have a Morgan 28 but want something bigger and still want to be able to use it in the Keys so was looking for a shallow draft. My question is, is the Morgan 34 with the shoal keel and centreboard (draws only 3'3) a boat that can be used for blue water sailing? Example crossing from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas?

Or is a 5' draft something that can still manage most of the Keys?

My gut keeps telling me that a deep keel is safer but I really don't know if I am making more of this issue than I should.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

I have a 71 Morgan 35 classic... it has a 4'-6" keel with the fold down center board... but the p/o took out the centerboard cable and sealed the centerboard up inside the keel... the boat sails still just as good, you just have a little more side slip not having the centerboard.... the centerboard had no weight to it... all the weight is in the solid keel attached to the boat...

the Morgan boat are good universal boats, 1st shallow draft boats for around the islands, and 2nd for open water too... Charlie Morgan designed most of his boats for using around Florida and the shallows of the keys and the gulf side... I have friends who have Morgan's 32 thru 45, and they all enjoy sailing them to the Caribbean and around the islands too....

I prefer the long keel boats for the best stability... most Morgan's are long keel boats... the more keel running the length under the boat the more stable it is... I deep fin keel doesn't always give more stability...

sincerely
Jess

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
My 34' with the keel sealed up was a question for me also as I haven't sailed it yet. Apparently, the previous owner was a retired marine engineer and sealed up the hole for the keel and then put a plate horizontally on the bottom of the keel. It looks like it will work great. The prevous owner says it sails ok but who knows. I am in the middle of a major refit and it is what it is. I will be sailing this old girl no matter what it is.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Frill to the SBO Forum. The Morgan 34 is a sweet boat. Should track nicely with balanced sail trim.

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
Thank you!
I haven't had it in the water yet. I am refitting it to my taste to sail from NS to NL and circumnavigate the island in the summertime. It will take a few summer seasons to do, but oh well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
to sail from NS to NL and circumnavigate the island in the summertime.
I was confused for a moment. Your use of NS I understand and Nova Scotia. but NL means the Netherlands, in the international ISO code. Did not think you were ready yet... for a Northern Atlantic Crossing. People do it and most survive...

Then I realized that nl. ca. is the postal code for Newfoundland. That is an island. And now the circumnavigation comment makes more sense.

That should be quite an adventure. Keep us informed of your planning.

Frill

Sep 29, 2022
Morgan 34 North Sydney
Sorry for the confusion........I didn't realize.
Currently, I am working daily on her and trying to get as much done as I can before freeze up.
The plan is to finish up and have it hauled to the marina in the spring then start to get familiar with the boat and some test sails and adjustments and so on. I am currently working 2or 3 weeks away and the same at home which gives me some good time to get things done. I am planning on taking next summer off to accomplish our plans.