Morgan 34 Centerboard

Feb 15, 2009
Oday 28 Manhasset Bay, LI
Hello all,
It's been quite a while since I've posted, so I feel like a newbie all over again, and hope I'm not boring everyone with questions already hashed over.

Our old M34 keeps getting older, and after a season where we realized our centerboard was not dropping, I discovered that besides being riddled with barnacles due to poor maintenance on my part (I prefer having the boat blocked low in the winter, which precludes our being able to drop the board for inspection and removal) I now see that the centerboard, of fiberglass vintage, is showing a significant splitting down the middle along the leading edge, which is all that's viewable when retracted. I don't know the actual construction, but there must be some kind of metal structural member sandwiched in there, and I suspect water ingress is rusting it away. This seems like a big problem that will only get bigger.

I've read in more than one place that owners have chosen to glass in the whole assembly rather than deal with the whole gimmicky thing. I confess that Deb and I have always been lazy sailors, and rarely dropped the board while sailing. My question, to any with experience or simply an opinion would be 1) Is the board truly that performance-enhancing? and 2) Were I to consider glassing the whole area up, should I remove the board first?

I can probably think of a couple other questions, but that's a good start. I'm actually curious to see if folks are still out there paying attention. If so, I'll make an effort to attach photos, and later perhaps we can talk about mushy foredecks. Oh lawdy.

Paul

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome back Paul.

Your query about the center board has multiple areas of discussion
First I love the Morgan boats. They are a classic design, very popular in the day.
1680109221760.png

The center board does improve on the sailing to windward for your boat.
Draft (max): 7.92 ft / 2.41 m
Draft (min): 3.25 ft / 0.99 m
Without the centerboard down your boat will tend to slide/slip towards the lee when you have the sails in trim trying to sail upwind. If this does not bother you, then I would not worry greatly about it's use. You can sail like many of the long keel coastal boats that have cruised the shallow waters. With out the centerboard down you will find it difficult to sail off a lee shore. This will mean turning your engine on early or modifying your course with a readiness to drop an anchor should the conditions turn foul.
1) Is the board truly that performance-enhancing? YES

Regarding the damage or the idea if glassing the centerboard opening.
The damage will continue to decay. To minimize weight, centerboards and rudders were often constructed on a metal frame and covered with fiberglass. They used the frame to establish the shape/internal structure. Then foam was used to fill the voids. Fiberglass wrapped the centerboard providing a smooth surface and water resistant skin. If you have cracks you have water intrusion working on the interior breaking down the metal and foam. Then during the winter the internal moisture will freeze further contributing to the decay you are now seeing. At some point in the boats life this will need to be addressed. On the other hand the centerboard my just self destruct and fall away.

Glassing the centerboard over could be a temporary fix. It may also become a hinderance when the time comes to help your boat find a new home.
2) Were I to consider glassing the whole area up, should I remove the board first?​
I might not. A future owner will wonder where the centerboard is? How do I find a replacement?​
This is an owners call.​

Feb 15, 2009
Oday 28 Manhasset Bay, LI
Thank you very much, John, for your detailed answers. I really appreciate it. The boatyard has offered to put our boat up on a sling over the weekend so we can pull it, assess the damage, and possibly make repairs.