Morgan 25 Centerboard Pennant

Mar 23, 2014
Morgan 25 Norwalk, CT
I have owned and sailed a Morgan 25 for 43 years and have much experience with the maintenance of the centerboard pennant. The pennant requires frequent inspection and service. Morgan service manual recommended inspection every two years and possible replacement. Common failure is failure of the 19.25 inch long wire just aft of the metal tube due to corrosion and flexure. Service is critical because failed wire can permit the steel tube to come out of the seal and cause a serious leak. I don't know where pennants can be purchased. I made mine and replaced the pennant approx. every 5 years.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Wow! That's a great history with a great boat.
Mine was missing the stuffing box, turning blocks, cables and winch when I bought her. The centerboard was pinned up with a bolt through the trunk and cb.
Since it is an outboard model I decided to follow what a 22 owner did and make a tube from the top of the trunk to the cockpit sole and run a line directly.
Works great, simple and only maintenance is replacing the haul up line when it gets worn which can be done in the water.

N1EYO

Nov 30, 2011
Morgan M22 Cocoa, FL
I got my new stuffing box from Buck Algonquin. However, I'm not sure if the pennant length (19.5") is the same for the M-22 as the 24. I suppose I could just make it a little shorter to keep tension on it at all times. Thoughts