More Questions! The Foldable Rib (F-RIB) Inflatable--Opinion?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Looking into the logistics of a dinghy upgrade to a RIB. It's only my penchant for the ability to stow the dink aboard (below deck) that has kept me from one so far. (No stern davits will be installed.) The F-Rib is a somewhat new product. Has anyone here gotten one? If so, what is the conclusion on performance, stowability, and ease of deployment?

Is your tender up to it? We test the F-Rib foldable RIB - Yachting World

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Looks like an interesting innovative product.

If I was a full time cruiser I'd probably consider one if I could come up with the bucks and didn't want davits. We have them on the Endeavour so would go for something more conventional if ours finally fails. Is there a reason you don't want to install davits.

Sumner
=================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I routinely use the boat for "distance" cruising (60-100 n.mi.), local "weekend" cruising (< 50 n.mi.), day sailing, & sometimes club racing. Having stern davits loaded with a heavy dinghy (+ motor) is not really wonderful for all of those activities. IMHO--the time to install davits and to hang a dinghy/motor combination from them would be when cruising long term in a boat >36 ft LOA with relatively short hops between destinations that might require repeated deployment/recovery of the dink once there, and where towing is not desirable or feasible. Or, if living aboard at anchor or moored. In other words, when you're using the davits every day, to every few days, for dinghy deployments rather than having them serve as (i.e., devolve into) a "stowage option" for the dink on a boat sitting in its slip 300 + days a year. (I see a lot of that!:doh:)

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I also like the idea of this and have been doing something sort of similar with my trailerable boat. Its nice to not be towing anything while sailing for those long crossings (like to Catalina Island in my case). My scaled down dingy is just an 11 foot inflatable two person kayak and its been overall very nice to just leave it stashed on the boat but inflate it anytime that I might need it.

Having been doing something similar, I would wonder about a couple things. First, inflatables are always easier to set up than take down especially if you want it to fit in the bag. Its also easier to take down on a flat surface (getting the air out), not so easy in the cockpit of a boat. Finally, what does the inflatable weigh? My kayak is just over 30 pounds but its an awkward weight to move down through the companionway to where it gets stored. However, just over 30 pounds is very manageable and Im not sure at what weight this would just become too much of a hassle.

I try and dry the kayak off after its been in salt water but since this is all done on the boat it doesnt get rinsed. I really have not noticed any problem with doing this but its also a trailerable boat where I take the kayak out and do wash with fresh water when I get home.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Your foot pump should have a deflate valve which allows you to suck out air; many do. However, if avoidable, and I'm returning to home after a cruise where the dink was deployed, I do not deflate it aboard. I put it on the foredeck, properly lashed, and bring it home that way. Once back I can drop it on the dock, hose it off thoroughly; then deflate, roll up & bag there instead of on the foredeck.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Also, having a bunch of weight hanging over stern alters the trim of the boat. For example, my just standing back there after rinsing makes the "residual" water run off faster. Add another 150# (?) further outboard? I just don't like it.:snooty:

Hobby horse.jpg

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have had 2 folding transom RIBs, Zodiac Cadet 310 from WM and now an Achilles. Both can be brought onto the foredeck and folded into a bag not much bigger than a standup board. I love this style rib and it works well. FYI both boats were about 100# and having them swing on my KATO davits was not a problem. In a full-blown gale I might bring them on the foredeck but with a modern wide-beam sailboat the stern rides high in all conditions. I would not buy a dink that did not have good US based dealer support.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I routinely use the boat for "distance" cruising (60-100 n.mi.), local "weekend" cruising (< 50 n.mi.), day sailing, & sometimes club racing. Having stern davits loaded with a heavy dinghy (+ motor) is not really wonderful for all of those activities. IMHO--the time to install davits and to hang a dinghy/motor combination from them would be when cruising long term in a boat >36 ft LOA with relatively short hops between destinations that might require repeated deployment/recovery of the dink once there, and where towing is not desirable or feasible. Or, if living aboard at anchor or moored. In other words, when you're using the davits every day, to every few days, for dinghy deployments rather than having them serve as (i.e., devolve into) a "stowage option" for the dink on a boat sitting in its slip 300 + days a year. (I see a lot of that!:doh:)
Thanks, considering how you use your boat the davits don't sound like a good option for your situation,

Sumner
============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Had a look at the FRIB-275 and FRIB-360 at Four Seas yesterday in Santa Ana, CA. I was told they are built in St. Petersburg, Russia. The company had sold out of the 275's; what I saw was a demo that was not for sale. I don't know how this product is going to get marketed well here in the US. I went to essentially a tiny warehouse; no show room; only a few dinghies there and not in display. Evidently, Four Seas and the other stores have to order in a container-load at a time from Russia and they could not say when that might be done again going forward. The units come with a 3-yr warranty; but I question how a warranty claim would be processed there being no apparent service department, etc. It does look to be a good product, however.

http://www.fourseas.com/frib/

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On my C30 davits would be too much weight on the stern in my option so I have come up with a compromise. I have an outboard motor crane on the stern that I use to lift a 10' inflatable onto its edge and then lash it in place to the push-pit. This way the dink is out of the water and only adds a foot to overall length. I can motor with it in this position but cannot sail. When I head out I drop the dink in the water and hook the tow bridle over a cleat on the transom which lifts the dink's bow about a foot out of the water. With only the last foot of the tubes in the water the drag is greatly reduced and I do not need to worry about where it is when docking. I also use the crane extended out back to lift the bow of the dink when at anchor. This keeps the dink close without it bumping against the hull all night long.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So one of my Achilles air valve retainer straps was broken this past season. I got on the Defender Marine web site and ordered a package of the replacement straps, they will be here later this week. RIBs are the pickup truck of the sea, stuff gets broken, goes missing and repairs must be made. If you don't have a full service shop nearby then someone like Defender is a great option. Otherwise buy a boat with a large support dealer network.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Have you looked at Porta-bote ? Met a fella 2 years ago that dragged one all over the province strapped to the float of his DHC-2 Beaver, now using it as a tender for his power boat. Said it was 40 years old and still worked great.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Have you looked at Porta-bote ? Met a fella 2 years ago that dragged one all over the province strapped to the float of his DHC-2 Beaver, now using it as a tender for his power boat. Said it was 40 years old and still worked great.
Yes, but having one of those is not the solution I'm looking for.:)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Other than the ability to stow the dink on the boat (vs IN the boat) are there any other requirements? stuff like 2 adults + ?children, 5 persons max, sailing environment (coastal, blue water.....). Is there any restriction on where you can stow it? Is the first mate (our yourself) one of the variables? I know my first mate can't see over the dink if we put it on the fore deck or lash it to the stern..... and lashing it to the stern covers the stern nav light....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The boat must have a rigid bottom, remain stable when boarding, plane with 2 adults, but carry four adults otherwise, remain relatively dry in light chop (i.e., big tubes). It has to be light & manageable enough for me alone to hoist onto the foredeck with the aid of a block & fall if need be (< 10 ft of length). Desirable attributes--can deflate and stow below deck (= F-RIB), or compactly fwd of the mast (also = F-RIB). Made of hypalon with FRG or aluminum hull. The Caribe 8X or 9X are probably the closest matches so far if I cannot get a good F-RIB. The Canadians make a nice one with aluminum hull but use PVC--the Oceanair, but I'd have to go to Canada to get it!

http://www.oceanairtec.com/Models.html

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I love inflatables, and have owned one sort or another since 1971, however I do not believe I would purchase a RIB. At present we own a Zodiac Classic Mark I with aluminum floor boards (wood is also available). The last one lasted nearly 10 years of continuous hard, daily use. We had (have) a 15hp 4 stroke outboard on it and we use every one of those horses at times, which will get her up to about 35 knots with one person aboard. Who needs a roller coaster ride when your dink will do that?
The main reason I don't like the RIBs is their weight (our 11.5' is 126#) and the inability to fold it up and store below for crossings or storage, if we left the boat. All of our inflatable is in the water at rest, so it is very stable for boarding, unlike RIBs which float on their hull with only one pontoon securely in the water until loaded.
We have a very large flat open interior to carry anything from a couple of 55 gal drums of water or fuel to 4 people and all their luggage.
Another advantage to a deflatable inflatable is that the pontoons can not become detached from the rigid glass or aluminum hull, as the pontoons and bottom are the same material, making a better glue joint. One thing I have learned about inflatable boats over the years is that you get what you pay for. For longevity and quality, pay the money up front.
Anyway, just a heads up, if you haven't already made your mind up.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
That F-rib looks like it handles a whole lot better than the flat bottomed inflatables with the roll up floor boards that I have used in the past. It seems like a nice idea.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I'll be going first hand to take a look at the F-RIB 375. I don't care for one that large but it's being sold to us at the same price as a 330. And it's almost impossible to find a 330. Of course I can't wait to see one in person to make a decision on the Highfield or the F-RIB. One's coming on the boat that's certain!