More Power! Cascaded Backstay/Upgraded Mainsheet

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
The stock setup on my boat is a 4:1 backstay adjusting tackle run through a block on the end of the backstay, which yields 8:1 overall. The mainsheet is a 3:1 tackle. I wanted more power on both so I cascaded the backstay and swapped the tackle.

My new setup is a 12:1 backstay for a 50% increase in power and a 4:1 mainsheet for a 33% power increase.

I obtained a used adjustable backstay and rigged the wire block to the end of the 7x19 flexible bottom section. Put a rigging triangle on the transom tang and string it all up as shown in the pictures.

Sorry about the grime, etc. I didn't tidy things up before taking the pictures.

Attachments

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
I did something similar, swapping the vang and the mainsheet fiddle blocks and adding a block to the vang making it 6:1 and the mainsheet 4:1. In light air, we've reconnected the mainsheet straight to the first sheave, going back to 3:1 and it worked great.

Still at 8:1 for the back stay and I like it as it starts feeling pretty tight right about the time I want it to. I do look forward to running the lines up to both side of the traveler as looking and reaching back is a bit distracting.

Still looking for (another) 155 hank on if anyone's got one... ;-)

Steve S.

Aug 27, 2013
Judas Priest! You need that much leverage to haul on backstay? Guess it's important to have the upper 1/3 of the mast parallel to the top batten. Who knew?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Depends on the winds you are dealing with (for the mainsheet anyway).. also how little effort he wants to use to adjust the backstay. Gotta remember that 12:1 in 1 stage is slow. 2 stages is course + fine adjust. Typical backstay adjustment is 8:1. My Capri 25 is actually only 4:1, but with a double sliding pully, on the split backstay (and straight down)... it works, but it DOES leave small adjustments only, and takes some effort at max adjust.

Going from 3:1 mainsheet to 4:1 should be doable with the stock mainsheet tackle. More than that, and you have to add a couple blocks. Again, need more line to give the same amount of adjustment, and speed of adjustment is compromised with extra purchase (hence why many go with 2 stage adjustment).