More engine whoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stu

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread but our engine worked for a day as we took all the fuel out and replaced it with fresh fuel and everything was sweet - the motor seams to run well and we took it out Saturday -- we even putted around for a little while after a nice half day sailing -- So we go out on Sunday and get out of the marina nicley -- get the sails up and stuff and have a nice little sail -- the wind died about an hour into it and we wanted to go visit a little beach so fired the engine up -- it was about 2 - 3 miles away so not wanting to get to carried away I sat on about 3/4 throttle (maybe a bit less)-- along the way I did noticed the power in the engine would fluctuate alot with out touching the throttle it would power off slightly and then power on slightly, sometimes a little more than others -- just before it cut out it did this but with more freaquentcy (sorry about my spelling) -- basically it then cut out and would not start or stay running if it did start --- luckily for us in about 20 mins the wind picked up and we sailed almost back to the marina but a strong incoming time and a wind change meant we were heading into a light wind and a strong current and we weren't going anywere really quickly -- we tried the engine again and it started and got us a little closer but died again in a similar fashion about 5 - 10 minutes later -- so we hoist the sails again and try sailing with the same results --- about an hour later -- kids and wife are ready to never sail ever again so we try the engine one more time for giggles -- it fires up so I let it idle for about 5 minute --- very slowly applied more throttle and the thing very very slowly putted us home -- funny thing is 1/2 mile to go and the motor started responding again as if nothing had happened -- this ordeal took about 7 - 8 hours .. Now I need to do something drastic to gain the trust of my family again -- even getting it a total overhaul is a little worrying to me as it might not solve all the problems and cant risk going out and having even the slightest of problems with it -- so I have a few questions here -- - whats a good type of 9.9 HP motor, electric start as I have a electronic start key brought down to a panel as well as throttle and grear controls up to the pedastal. - How long should an outboard run for ? I've heard the little ones should get you about 4 -5 hour at 3/4 throttle or about 10 miles distance with out any troubles before needing a breather ? or are all the little ones just for very short distances of about 20 minutes or so ? - can you place a 15 or 25 HP engine on a MAC 26S (1993) or is it not strong enough for this ? - The motor we have is 1993 Yamaha T.9.9 is that getting old in the tooth for an outboard ? ok all I'll stop whiniing now :) cheers Stu..

Status
Not open for further replies.