Moody Deck Saloon 48

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Curious about this boat. It represents the next gen in boats. It looks amazingly comfortable, more like the comfort of a powerboat. Wide beam, flatter hull shape, deck saloon, blunt bow... Given the relatively high center of gravity, are these boats good blue water vessels?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Traditionalist blue water sailors might baulk at the large windows in the salon for blue water passages. They do represent some danger if broken by large seas or if the boat were caught sideways by a breaking sea. But you could level similar criticism at many of the large catamarans which make blue water passages. Both boats can sail fast enough to avoid the worst weather - but not all weather.
The rear buoyancy would be tiresome for steering in waves as they tend to throw the transom around. Better have a bullet proof auto pilot. I don't know if the boat has a high CE or not.
The size of the sail plan would be a challenge for the short handed crew. In an off shore mode I don't think reliance on electro/mechanical systems is a good thing.
I think this boat would be a great coastal cruiser with ocean legs possible with crew. I'm sure it could cross an ocean when manned with experienced off shore sailors - mostly on trade wind (Down wind) routes.