monsun madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angus phillips

Hello: I am about to buy a '74 monsun 31 for a low price. Boat need lotsa tlc but looks sound throughout. Has diesel, roller furling, etc. Just a question: If I sink a winter's work and several thousand dollars into making it right, what do you reckon the value of this vessel might be, roughly? Cheers

F

fuster

It is a gift

Dear Sir: I'm sorry but, in my opinion, you cant buy a wonderful classic HR 31 Monsum thinking in terms of money. Anyhow... if you want to know standars: Normal prices moves around 50.000 Euros. When you say expressions like "low price" or "several thousand" what do you mean? My advice is: "if you are in love with the boat, go ahead". Could be a nice gift for you and your grandsons". Best regard Fuster

A

angus phillips

gracias

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think nobody was out there, but now realize it was just cuz I was being crass. Anyway, I evidently paid less than a fifth of the going rate, so I guess I did all right. It is, however, a gift with hidden costs. Volvo model 2002 won't start without ether, original electrics all need replacing, head won't work, sails on last legs, half the through-hull valves don't work, hatches need replacing, varnish all gone (though wood's okay). On the other hand,she doesn't leak, hull & rig rock solid and when I took her out with the dog for first sail across the Chesapeake last weekend she romped in 20 knots. Made me smile. Any advice on repowering, if that proves necessary?

fuster

Sep 14, 2006
- - Portitxol, Palma Mallorca
Priorities

Hello again It seems you have a few things to do in your boat In my opinion it is a question of enthusiasm, money, time and the ability to establish priorities according. In your case I would afford the list following this order: 1) Hull valves are not expensive and it's easy to replace them with the boat outside of the water. Imposible to change the valves in the engine compartment with the engine in his place. 2) Engine. A good mechanic can do miracles, but a new engine Volvo MD2030 cost around 10.000. If you are going to sale the boat in two years dont replace the engine. 2) Sails. 1.400 Euros for a new main and 1.500 for the genoa. 3) Hatches. You can do it yourself. The originals were Gebo 50x50 around 500€ 4) I have the orginal electric instalation with no problems 5) Rigging. A new one. 6) New Electronics 6) New Gas instalation. 7) New loo Sorry for my bad english. Good luck Toni Fuster

F

ffronk

Repowering your H/R

We repowered our Rasmus last year and have spent a wonderful year with out any engine "angst"...I heartily recommend Yanmar engines...not the cheapest, but absolutely reliable, easy to start (even if cold) and relatively easy to maintain...be sure to look at installing a double primary filtre system (such as a Racor pack). It would be a good idea to "scrub" your fuel tank while the engine is out, I wish I had done so...Best of luck...ffronk

A

angus phillips

repowering

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to take the engine out and get it rebuilt. There's a good volvo guy here in annapolis. Also going to pull the mast, check it out, and put windex, wind speed and light at the top. Wood came out very nicely, stripped and oiled. Got the interior cleaned out. Am planning to remove hydraulic steering and steer with a tiller--hydraulics are blown and it seems much simpler and saltier to get rid of the clutter. Next summer we will go to sea in this little beauty. See you out there.

P

Pablo

Contacto con Sr. Fuster

Estimado Sr. Fuster: He comprado un HR31 Monsun recientemente. Estaría encantado el poder comentar sobre el motor Volvo, con vista de poner uno nuevo. Tambien estaría interesado en conocer algún sistema para limpiar el depósito de gasoil que lleva en la sentina. Un saludo Pablo Martinez (velerotriana@yahoo.es)

Status
Not open for further replies.