MODIFICATIONS TO MY B331 DUE TO HEALTH REASONS

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hello all, I thought I would share my new plans for my Beneteau 331. I recently have been diagnosed with exertional angina, so I don't want to be cranking in any more jibs.

I went to Doyle Sails here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They are going to make four changes for me:

(1) Install a self tacking jib. It will be well off the rail so I can see ahead and will not require the use of any winches! It will flip back and forth with just one line and will go a little past the mast. The sailmaker says he will cut it like a #2, so I should still get decent pull from it. I only cruise anyways;
(2) Install a plastic track in the mast sail raising slot;
(3) Install real full length battens (the ones now go to within 6 inches of the mast) with SS ball bearing lugs that fit into the plastic track. This will enable the main to drop right down the full length of the mast quickly; and,
Adjust the Pryde Sails "sailbag" on the boom with a larger zipper and better jack-stays so that the sail and battens will flop right into it.

I am excited as it will allow me to continue to sail for a lot longer. It will be great not to have to have people move every time you tack.

I will show pictures of everything when it is set up in the spring!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Consider a kit to upgrade your main halyard winch to electric. I've had 3 heart attacks and 5-way bypass. The Electric Winch conversion kit is a lifesaver (literally and figuratively). One of the best additions I've made to the boat along with the electric flush Sea Era toilet for the admiral. I already had the Tides sail track and an anchor winch. I do mostly solo sailing and its reasonably manageable with these additions. The self tacking jib sounds like a good idea too. However, if I can catch the genoa sheet quick enough on the tack its only a few turns to get it set. I don't race.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think if you have full length battens you need an electric halyard winch. Ball bearing carts notwithstanding. there is a lot of compression on the sail slides. I'd suggest losing the full length battens and going with the tides track but maybe still an electric winch. You may consider an electric jib furl-er. Electric windlass is highly Rx'ed if you anchor. When I say "Electric", I mean a variety of mechanical assists.
On the other side, aren't there treatments to improve your cardiac function? I'm not a MD but it seems that "Exertional Angina" is another term for inadequate blood flow in the heart. Or an inability for the heart to respond to the need for more blood flow.
My only expertise regarding heart issues is that my wife has quite serious heart failure. Yet she functions surprisingly well. Largely due to medication. But there are other treatments available. Best to you.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I have one electric winch , I do everything with one winch and just use the other winch to to guide over to electric. Many older sailors add an electric winch to keep sailing.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Thanks to you all for your kind comments. As to the Stack Pack, that's what he'll be doing - converting the Neil Pryde Sails "sail bag" to a fully functioning stack pack. As he said: "Doyle invented them".

Last edited:

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
I hope you continue sailing for a long time! I had 2 discs replaced. In my back and I get around on the boat better than on land. My wife wants me to sell her, but I just can’t do it. Besides I get around better on the boat.