Modifications/items for overnighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2011
MacGregor 25 swing keel Torch Lake MI
This year we plan on making overnight trips on our macgregor and I was wondering what mods/items you think have really made overnighting much better.
It looks like you have received some great information, I have a porta poti on board and carry a second holding tank for the longer stays and also an spare tank of gas. We stay out for 3 to 4 days. Good luck

Doug L

Sep 9, 2006
South Coast 22 MI
85/Mac/25 makes a good point, once that porta potti is full, and they fill suprisingly fast, nobody is happy. And BTW, I have not had much success with an anchor with no chain, as somebody suggested for a lunch hook, without the chain it pulls loose too easy.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
85/Mac/25 makes a good point, once that porta potti is full, and they fill suprisingly fast, nobody is happy...
There is an easy fix to that problem. This will be a cut and paste from the same question posted on one of the other Mac boards.

=====================================

....about getting rid of the porta-pottie. We went to Double Doodie bags, Walmart has them, and they are about the same as the Wag Bags a couple years ago when we started this sailing stuff. One of the best things we ever did.

We still use ...

... the cabin head...

... and the container we made for it out of a 5 gallon bucket, but have refined how we store the bags. We have found that if you keep them 2-3 weeks they will tend to seep a little.

That is not a big problem as we kept them in ....

...an old laundry soap container that has a snap on lid and then put that in a big bag just to make sure there was no odors. Still when you went to dump them in a dumpster you might have a little liquid in the container and that was a mess then to rinse out. Still nowhere like cleaning a porta-pottie.
Now we buy the 5 gallon buckets for about $3.00 from Home Depote that are orange and have the snap on lids. We can keep about 3 weeks of bags in one container so for our 2 month cruise we had 4 on board. When we were done we just threw the whole 5 gallon bucket with the bags in it into the dumpster. We used 3 buckets, so the cost was about $9.00 over two months to not have to mess with anything. Also this stops any odor in the dumpster for anyone else using it.
Here is a link to using the head while cruising....

Using Double Doodie Bags on a Cruise

More on our head here...

Head and Other Interior Mods for Cruising

And the best part of it, besides Ruth loving it, is that now the V-berth is much larger and we have a lot more storage there and where the head use to be. It made the boat a lot bigger inside.

The Endeavour has a big head and a holding tank, but we only plan on using that when we know that we have a legal place to dump it. The rest of the time or if it becomes full we will still use the Double Doodie bags. I can't believe more people don't use them. Now that we have solar, a frig and the bags we don't have to be anywhere for over a month. This sure helps when planning the trip,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
It looks like you have received some great information, I have a porta poti on board and carry a second holding tank for the longer stays and also an spare tank of gas. We stay out for 3 to 4 days. Good luck
I like the idea of a second holding tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.