MMSI Question

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
To add to what @dlochner already said, DSC calls are transmitted on channel 72.
When making an emergency call using the panic button the data goes out on ch 72 and when acknowledged the radio switches to ch 16 for talking.
You can change the default message to more specific messages such as MOB, etc.

If making a DSC call to another boat it still happens on ch 72 but you choose what channel you want to talk on. When acknowledged the radio switches to the intended channel for talking.
There is a test function for this use but I don't believe there is one for the panic button.

Dual Channel monitoring monitors ch 16 and ch 9 by default( but I think ch 9 can be changed). Tri Channel monitoring also monitors ch 16, ch 9 plus the last channel you transmitted on, such as ch 22.

Scanning allows you to set other channels to monitor.

Weather channels broadcast continuously so you don't want to scan or monitor them.
Instead you set the Weather Alert to "On". When the weather service is going to broadcast a severe weather alert for a certain area, they send out a tone which activates radios with Weather Alert turned on. I believe my HX890 issues a tone to indicated a weather alert was received and asks if you want to switch to the weather channel. I haven't heard enough weather alerts to remember exactly.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks, that's all helpful and fills in a bit from the manual.
I have other questions I'll post tomorrow.