mizzen rigging : 3 stays or 4 each side?

Jul 26, 2010
OK I am puzzled. I am trying to instal all new mizzen hardware and replace standing rigging myself.

There are 3 chainplates for mizzen (each side) on deck.

I got photos from Kittiwake of mizzen mast with attachments (Thanks Jimmy!) that appear to show 4 attachment points for stays (4 per side), including 2 at top (not 1). One too many?

My box of old rigging stays from old wooden mizzen has 4 sets of stays (One set has pelican clips at deck level). Rigging diagram posted by Tom on this page is inconclusive, but appears to show 3 stays per side. WTF, as my daughter would text.

Are there 4 or 3 stays per side? If 4 where does 4th attach at deck level? To pushpit? Does it go to spreaders or direct to masthead. Are pelican hooks on to remove during run downwind? This is why I need to see a fuctional boat.

Let me know . please I am burning lots of time on this basic question and making no progress.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
There are four per side.

I'm recollecting here;

1; shrouds from mast head over spreaders to middle chain plate (I think, it's a matter of alignment from mast head over spreader to deck)

2; next tangs down mast, go to forward chainplate(I think)'

3; from spreader base to aft chain plate (I think.. these two could be switched.)

4; from mast head back side tangs to pelican hook loops on aft stantion base. These are removable for going down wind to allow the mizzen to go forward. You need them especially for using the mizzen staysail or a mizzen spinnaker.

I'll try to get a more accurate look at the rig if you need Joe.

Looking at the sailplan posted on this page, it shows the 3 stays per side pretty clearly, and the 4th aft set from masthead to pelican hooks Joe. It shows where they originate from the mast too.

Jul 26, 2010
Running backstays! I had no idea. Now I really want to fly the mizzen staysail. It will have to be off the Mighty Hudson, cause have to tack too often on this river. Thanks T.

Jun 28, 2004
Tom's description of the mizzen shrouds is he same as on Whisper. The running backstays' pelican hooks attach to padeyes that are screwed to the taffrail, and cannot carry as great a load as those attached to chainplates. We loosen a runner only when running downwind with the mizzen way out, when the sail would otherwise be pressing hard against the stay. They are never tensioned very much.

The turnbuckles on the shrouds over the spreaders are smaller than the others - which prevents mistakes when rigging.

Rick