mizzen mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2008
Irwin 65 Norfolk
Water that collects inside the mast seeps out the bottom, where it sits on top of the mast step. my question is, can i drill a drain hole to help the water get out. Im not sure how the step looks inside the mast or the tolerinces. Im sure the mast slides over the step. I still need to caulk up on the mast where wires come in (spreader lights, radar)but its still to cold, rain follows the wires down and comes into the master stateroom where all the wires come threw. This has been going on long before I owned the boat. Any suggestions befor I drill Capt. Raleigh

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
A little info

While I am no expert on the 65 (perhaps Gene Gammon would be a better source), but most mast steps have loose tolerances between the inside of the mast and the outside of the step so that the mast slides over it easily. The lip of the step normally would extend upwards about 3-5/8 ths of an inch or so. I wouldn't worry too much about drilling a hole for drainage 1 to 1 1/2" above the bottom of the mast (not at the very bottom however), and then sealing the space below the hole with poured in place expandable urethane foam. it should seal the bottom of your mast up to the hole and not prevent you from pulling the stick when you want to. I wouldn't caulk the wire holes first; because you'll never prevent water from entering and second; the proper insert is a rubber like grommet to prevent the hole from cutting or shorting the wire. They come in various sizes at most electrical supply stores and if not split, can easily be split to insert around the wire. Good luck Joe Shirley

Jan 30, 2008
Irwin 65 Norfolk
Thanks Joe

Thanks Joe I did talk to Gene Gammon. He explained the step and sent a photo. He said it wouldnt be a problem drilling a hole to help drain the water out. If the mast hasnt been removed from the step for many years, dirt and old bee's nest can acumulate at the bottom of the mast and prevent water from draining out. Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.