Mixed Signals on Mac 26X

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

I just completed Keelboat Certification and am anxious to practice sailing. But my family prefers moving a little faster on the lake when the wind subsides. I had just about decided on a used Hunter 25.5, but have been looking at Mac 26X's, as it may better fit my needs. But the local boat dealer says 'if you want a sailboat, buy a sailboat; if you want a powerboat, buy a powerboat'. Why are there so many negative comments on the forum about the 26X's sailing ability? I read a chain from a 2000 forum on "considering purchase", and the Mac really gets slammed? Can some 26X owners give me some insight, or somewhere to go on the web to get 26X owner comments? There aren't very many on the Boat Info section here. Mike (wanna be sailor)

C

Charlie

wan-a-be a sailor

If you want to be a sailor you should get a sailboat. You will never learn to sail in a 26x.

B

Brad Crabtree

I love my 26X, it is perfect.

Mike (Wanna Be Sailor) Don't we all want to be sailors, and yet we all probably are, just at different levels. As far as my level goes, I started with windsurfers when I was 14, moved on to Lasers, raced Alpha 14's at Western Washington University, Crewed on a Cat in Maui one summer and now have owned a 26X for 2 years. I currently live in KC, so we go to numerous lakes to sail. The ease of putting together and taking apart the 26X is one of the reasons we purchased her. I can rig it in a little under an hour and de-rig it in 1 and a half hours. Perfect for my uses. As far as sailing goes, I love it. It sails into the wind as well as anyone else on the lake. I have a good friend that I sail around with that has a Hunter 26. In light and Medium winds he has the advantage, but over 15 knots I can hold my own and even beat him. Downwind it kicks ass because of it's planning ability and because you can pull up the center board and a rudder to reduce drag. To me though, the jorney is the fun, so speed isn't a factor. I only have the 100% jib. If I wanted to go faster I would have purchased the Genoa I suppose. If I am in a hurry to get some where I just power up. I can beat any sailboat on the lake to any location. Sailing is a joy, and my wife and boys love it. It continues to give my family great memories. The reduced cost in upkeep is another great advantage. While everyone else is tweaking their boat, or treating their teak, I am out sailing. I think a lot of people dig on the Mac because they are either traditonalists, have a narrow mind or feel like they got screwed because of what they have versus what they could of had. Crabby

K

Kevin

Never?

The Mac is a compromise. It does many things well and I'm not sorry about my purchase. Consider the source of the opinions you read and make an informed decision. This may involve sailing on a Mac. One way to weed out mis-information is to examine statements for their perilous dive into broad-based, generalizations resulting in absolutes that are, at face value, unsupportable. Never learn to sail on a 26x??? Never is a long time and I know many people who have. You might check the the archives here and also at other 26x sites. I think you'll find many satisfied owners and long, involved links with real information. Good luck with you decision. K

J

Jim Bailey

Mixed Signals

Mike, most of the people that respond negatively to Mac 26X, or any MacGregor don't have a clue. They've never sailed or owned one.Every boat has its own idiosyncrasi. Or they "assume" that what they've heard is the absolute truth. How many times have we all heard that on other things? Cars, trucks, etc. ? You have the right idea by asking an owner. Incidently that was the phrase that sold Packard automobiles many years ago. "Ask the man who owns one." I own a Mac 26X. I have also owned other sailboats, and power boats. I happen to like the idea of the combination of sail and power together. Particularly, if the motor expires. Am I pleased with the boat? Yes! Are there things I would change on it? Sure, but I haven't met a boat owner yet that wouldn't change something or other about their boat. Actually, Mike,the bottom line is, what fits your priorities, and needs best. Just do your research thoroughly, and then decide for yourself. Good luck, and Good Sailing Whatever your Decision.

M

Mike Terry

Some links...

I also own a Mac 26X. Perfect for me... and I'm a sailor. There is a good discussion under "ask all sailors" on this site. The topic was "Hunter 260 vs Mac 26X". Try these links http://www.macgregor26x.com/cgi-bin/MAC26X/webbbs/macboard1.pl http://www.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/

B

Bob Cassel, Fiu! Mac 26S

I'd suggest you go sail one

I'm not kidding here. It may cost you a few bucks at a Mac dealer to sail one, usually the dealer will knock off the cost if you buy. Or, if he really wants your business, he'll refer you to someone who owns and regularly sails the boat. I've sailed one, once. I like the compromise, but prefer the 26S, classic style. I do still have a desire to check out the 19. It's just plain neat.

H

Helmut

The 26X works for us

Mike, we bought our 26X in May of 1997 and have had a lot of fun with it. From April through October we keep the boat in the water and use it most weekends and many a night after work as it is only 15 minutes from my office. I am sure you have heard that every boat is a compromise but I like what the Mac Gregor offers, namely the ability to sail as well as getting to and from places in a hurry when you need and want to. My boat was bought on impulse (therefore the name Sudden Purchase) but I have never regretted it. While traditionalists will poo poo the Mac Gregor, we did just fine keeping up sailing with our friends' 27' Catalina but, when we wanted to meet up some place for the weekend, he had to leave work early while we picked up his wife and got there is less than half the time. My 27' Catalina friend sailed with me numerous times and was impressed by the 26X's performacne under sail and he was very jealous of our ability to back up easily. I also enjoy going out by myself and find the boat easy to single-hand. I like my boat and my dealer (Blue Water Yachts in Seattle) so well that I voluteeer(for free)to sit on the boat and tell prospective buyers about the fun I have had. Someone else suggested you go for a test sail -- that's good advice. Enjoy.

C

Curtiss Grant

To do or not to do.

Well, Mike, you have had some good advice and suggestions. Regarding going for a trial run on a 26; let's face it - if you are a 'wanna be sailor', any boat is going to be great! One time sailing could be unrealistic because you may not have anything to compare it. Bum as many rides as possible or buy a used boat thereby reducing your investment making it easier to trade later. Obviously, used boats have a head ache factor. I have a 26S, like Bob Cassel, and OF COURSE, we actually believe they sail better than a 26X. However.... the 26X has 3 major advantages: 1) larger faster motor - definite advantage - particularily if family may become bored at a slow 5/6/7 MPH sailing or motoring. 2) more room inside the cabin - the 26X stands taller - you can actually stand up in it. 3) the ammenities - wheel, sitting position for the skipper, engine controls etc. Please understand, the MAC is a light boat and therefore is a bit tippy and tender. Keel boats are heavier and somewhat more stable. However; you can not beat a MAC for trailering and for the ability to sail in VERY SHADOW water. It is a REAL kick to pull the boat up on the beach or bank, load people on in ankle deep water, push the bow around and climb on the back as the boat drifts by. Wow! Good Luck!

C

Claus

Just what I was looking for

I am a 'sailor' for the past 20 years; and have barboat chartered in the Carib numerous tims, sailed and crewed on many boats, and own a Hobie 16. I am about to buy a '02 MAC 26x, it looks like a blast. I never sailed one, but it looks so versatile. On the Hudson, there is a big current sweep, so the 50hp will punch through that. And, we to be able to sail all over the northeast, so we can trailer it to all those destination. I appreciate and enjoyed your article. It has shaken loose some of my buyer butterflies, and asured me that the MAC 26x is a real sail boat. from one sailor to another, regards, Claus

N

NEWGATE13

MAC26X SAILING OR MOTORING?

Try it. The dealer you asked may not sell MACs so won't have experience. Find a MAC dealer on the internet, go for a trial sail/motor and make your own decision. Take your family and have FUN.

M

Michael Gulbranson

Mac boats are great fun

Mike, I learned to sail in a Mac 21v in the San Fransico Bay. The fact is that more poeple learn to sail on Macgregor sailboats. My youngest brother has a Hunter 46, but still reguards the time he had on the Venture 21, I on the other hand have needs that are different than his. We use our Mac 19 for water skiing and sailing it is smaller than the 26x, when I have the money I have every intention to purches the 26x. My family loves the versitility that the powersailer give us. Because there are days here in Washington that the wind is not. The water ways around Puget sound sometimes requires a powerboat and others sailing is great. I would not consider any other boat. I also have a veiw of what it is like to be on a power boat because I am in the Coast Guard Reserves in which I spend sometime on a Power boat, which I find boaring. No other boat on the market sold in the United States offers what the Mac powersailers can. You must put down on paper what you want to do with the boat. My kids love the fact they can water ski behind my boat I don't know if its possible to do that behind a 26x but you should be able to wake board. You should allow your family to have the most fun possible on the boat you buy.

J

J JONES

get a ride

If you really want to compare sail boats, go yo your local marina and leave notes on all the boats you would be inteested in sailing on, dont board them just tape it to the side of the boat in a prominate location. I dont know of any(although I am sure there are a few) owners of sailboats that would not offer you a ride on one of their next outtings. I have owned a 26X since Nov 95 and given many such rides and made a few good friends in the process. However I keep my boat on a trailer in my back yard so no marina expenses, just one of the advantages of the 26X.

R

Ron Hore

26X or a sailboat?

Bought a 26X in 1997 (my 3rd sailboat.) I'm in a harbour full of keelboats (who admit that it looks good). depends on why you buy a boat. I use my like a cottage, live aboard on weekends of on week long cruises. Like the room. Like the fact that when the wind howls into my face and I have to be home I can power up and plunge ahead while the rest of the fllet tacks back and forth or heads for shelter. Sailing they usually beat me, depends on the wind, but I've given up racing, prefer cruising now. Local dealer admits that the older versions sail better, but says the 26X has the advantage when things get rough which they often do around here. And when cruising, I like the fact that I can beach it and relax while the rest anchor out and paddle in... Your call! Good Luck! (

M

Mark

Mac's grown no moss

Look at the marina's, look at the big and small keel boats tied to the dock with what looks like a front yard growing on the bottoms. Mac boats are used, why because they are easy to handle, can power to where the owner wants to go, and enjoy the art of sailing at the same time. And Mac boats ownwers are as free to go as a bird, can move the boat anywhere they want. Persons that slam the Mac for poor sailing quailties do not have a clue about what this boat is all about. A simple three lettered word they should rememeber, FUN!!!!! Mark

J

Jim Laurence

Another wanta be sailor

I am also a wanta be sailor. I have looked at a lot of information on various sailboats and think the 26X is ideal for my purposes. Here in Texas and Oklahoma the lakes are not so large that you would spend more than a day or so going from one side to the other. the water depth can change quickly and sometimes the shallow water is in the center of the lake. I think the 26X is the right combination of features for this area.

B

Bob Weakley

More Mac's

Mike, If you're seeking a fleet's worth of Mac owners log onto: www.macgregor26x.com It's loaded with platitudes and attitudes about the Mac. I own a 1999 26x. Bought it new. Like the boat. As a powersailor, the Mac doesn't take a back seat to any of them. Sure it's a compromise design, but it's practical, versatile and functional when considered in that context. Lot's of Mac owners, including myself, are seasoned sailors having experienced numerous 'legitimate' vessels. Yet when you add up all the plus and minus' we chose a Mac for our next boat. I keep mine rigged and ready on the trailer at the marina about 150 yds. from the launch ramp. $300/season . . . not bad. No four figure slip fee, no bottom paint, no Zebra mussels, no teak, etc., etc., you get the idea. What it is is low maintenance, roomy and parts are available through dozens of sources, its adaptable and fun to modify. And of course being a trailerable, it's portable. We've had more women 'envy' us these features when they return back aboard their slip-bound sloops. Bob

J

Jerry

Former 26X owner view point

Don't worry, I'm not going to bash the 26X too bad! I bought a 26X brand new in 1998 and thought it was going to be my dream boat!! I liked it a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.