Mistral 33, windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edward McCabe

We took out the plexiglass windows and changed to safety glass, rebedded them and reattached the frames. Five out of eight shattered. We're trying to figure out what to do now. Going back to plexi is difficult because all the rabbets around the openings have been routed out.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Can't you just

cut the plexi the exact same dimensions as the glass, and stick it in. I'm not real sure I unserstand the problem.

E

Edward McCabe

Mistral windows

When we took out the old plexi we cut out the rabbets (retaining rings in the wood) to allow room for the (thicker) glass. Now plexi won't fit.

May 11, 2005
Just get

Get you some plexi the same thickness as the glass. Still can't see where this would be much of a problem. Course I don't see lots of things clearly. But have to wonder why you would put glass in there in the first place. Glass has absolutely no flex in it, and of course everything on a boat flexes some.

E

Edward McCabe

more on windows

I appreciate your help but the safety glass is thicker than the plexi and the openings are now cut for the (thicker) glass.

E

Edward McCabe

profound

Exactly. Safety glass might have been a dumb idea to begin with. But now that openings have been re-cut to receive glass, plexi is no longer a no-brainer. Since this boat has a cabin-top-stepped mast, and a very flexible cabin top and trunk, it seems flex is all-important. But now we're sort of stuck betwixt and between.

May 11, 2005
You can get

You can get almost any thickness of plexi, or acrylic you want. Try this one. www.clearcutplastics.com I got a quote from them for four windows on a Seidelman 37, and seemed pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.