Mistral 33 - hydraulic steering issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009
Hallberg Mistral 33 Marquette, MI
My Mistral 33 was built in 1972 and has its original hydraulic steering. The steering has been somewhat problematic for a while. It's been increasingly difficult, if not impossible, to bleed all the air from the hydraulic lines. Last summer I had an auto pilot installed but it wouldn't work and seemed to aggravate the problem with air in the lines. The boatyard has since informed me that it won't work on my boat, that my hydraulic system is old and complicated and that I should consider replacing the steering system to eliminate the hydraulics altogether. I would prefer to avoid that expense but have no information about the technical aspects of the existing system to know if it can be repaired or updated in some fashion. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 1, 2009
Atlantic 42 Honolulu
Are there any names on the ram or helm pump (eg, Hynautic)? There have been a number of changes in the suppliers of hydraulic steering systems over the years and finding seal kits and so on has gotten challenging for some set-ups.

If your yard tells you that they aren't competent to work on the system I'd believe them. I had some friends who had one of the best known, top quality yards in the Bay area go over their steering system just before they left for Hawaii. 48 hours out the helm pump was spitting out parts! Scary stuff.

Good luck!

--Tom.

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
I have a Hynautic system on my Morgan and it has proven very reliable. Wouldnt think of replacing it. If there is air in the system it is realatively easy (but messy) to bleed. But first determine why there is air in the system-leaky hose, copper tubing, flare connections, ram cylinder??? Once the leak is repaired, bleed it from the top of master cylinder. The bleed screw is on top of the master cyl that is behind the wheel. Rebuild kits are avail for the cylinders. In S. Fl they are stocked by Lewis Marine.

If you need some detail instructions, respond and I'll gather up my notes, xerox them and mail to you. But first do a net search under "Hynautic". I believe that their products are now part of Telflex. Bob Tigar

Status
Not open for further replies.