Missing Reef Hook?

Jul 4, 2022
Hunter H280 Lake Pepin, MN
First season here with my 1999 H280. Went to reef and to my surprise, there's no hook on the gooseneck. What am I missing here? The old owners manual implies there's supposed to be one.
IMG_2117.jpg

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
I know nothing about your 280, but on my 410 those 2 lines coming out of the sheaves on the top of the boom would be my (2 different) reef lines. On a single lines reefing with 1 line pulling down the sail I do not need a hook.
It kind of looks like yours is also, can you set it up that way, lines led back to the cockpit?

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My boat has the same gooseneck and the reefing line goes up to the reef point on the luff then back down through the holes you see in the gooseneck then down to the block at the base of the mast then on to the clutch.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Looks like you have a different boom than mine. I have a horn that feeds through the holes in the gooseneck on the mast. But I see your reefing lines coming out of the boom are sheaved up. Maybe you have single line reefing and the two lines coming out of your boom goes to the reef points on the luff. This is what mine looks like. You can see the reef hook horns that goes through the gooseneck.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My H280 had the horns like @chp. But yours appears to be set up for single-line reefing and the 2 lines shown in the original photo need to be threaded through the reef crinkles.

Greg

Jul 4, 2022
Hunter H280 Lake Pepin, MN
Thanks all and now it makes sense. Was expecting the same the setup as CHP as that was the config on my previous boat. Will figure out the single-line reef next time I'm out. Ya'll just saved me a ton of head scratching -- a million thanks!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wonderful. How does it function? Not to much friction?