Missing macerator pump??

Nov 8, 2011
catalina 309 New Bern, NC
Just bought a 2006 Catalina 309. Electrical panel indicates a macerator pump with wiring at the panel leading somewhere below. Yet i cannot find the pump. All i can see is a large hose leading from the holding tank (port side) to the deck fill. there is also a small hose at the top of the tank, possibly a vent? The Catalina manual describes its use but curiously the page supposedly to show a diagam is missing. I think page 37 I think the 309 is so loaded with so much, than I assumed a macerator.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Another wild guess here but maybe the boat could be ordered with or without the macerator pump because in lakes and some other places over board discharge is illegal. Maybe it's like your car manual which describe equipment that doesn't exist on your particular car.
And, if you had a survey that should be noted in it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If there is no "Y" valve on the pump out line chances are there is no maceratro pump.

Nov 8, 2011
catalina 309 New Bern, NC
Thanks so much for your suggestion. Somehow i simply forgot to look at the survey. It says deck pump out with no mention of anything else. I think the confusion for any person buying a similar boat is that the electrical panel clearly shows a switch and wires go to it. And the catalina manual clearly discusses pump out and also deck pump out.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thanks so much for your suggestion. Somehow i simply forgot to look at the survey. It says deck pump out with no mention of anything else. I think the confusion for any person buying a similar boat is that the electrical panel clearly shows a switch and wires go to it. And the catalina manual clearly discusses pump out and also deck pump out.
Boat manuals are fairly non informational, there are more pages dedicated to dangers and warnings than there actually is for the operation of the ancillary equipment on the boat, things like macerator pump description is undoubtely preface with, "if equipped"......

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Now you know that if/when you decide to install a macerator pump, you already have the wiring and switch for it, done correctly. All you'll have to do is connect the pump to it.

--Peggie

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The wires are a little discerning but again making an analogy to a car, there are wires run for trailer lights in many SUV's that are run for future installations. If you buy the trailing package from the dealer they use them. If not .... maybe an after market installer will.
The manufacturer tries to build the boat with a number of contingencies for the dealer to customize.
But what am I saying? Why not ask our own retired dealer?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
A lot can happen in 15 years. A PO may have removed the original macerator and filled in the thru hull.
I thought boats were hand wired, not wired with pre made wiring harnesses like a car.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
1. You don't need a Y valve from the discharge to a macerator - you just need a thru-hull. The deck fitting will seal and thus the macerator can pump out the thru hull. If the thru hull is closed a pumpout from the deck fitting will only pull out of the tank.

2. Boat manufacturers do odd things. My panel has a "macerator" breaker. My tank is a gravity drain through a thru hull. (Tank is above waterline) There would be no need ever for a macerator in my boat. So why did Catalina put in a breaker for one? Dunno. (Head's electric so the contents of the tank are "macerated" but that's pretty much true for a manual head too)

BTW, the above-waterline holding tank is fantastic. Go out three miles, open a valve, done. Leave it open until inside 3 miles. No Y valve, wires, broken pumps, etc. One of the features I really like in the 387 over my old C-30 - where I was replacing the dang macerator pump every 2 years. It's not a pleasant job.