Missing a piece, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D. Gielczyk

I am looking for the piece of rigging that attaches to the backstay and than attaches to the mainsheet off of that. It is a triangle piece of ss and adjustable. I do not know the correct name. I beleive that it was stolen from my boat. Is there a place I can purchase? West Marine? thanks

S

Sam

Parts person

Sorry you're having this problem. I would try: Rudy Nickerson, D&R Marine, 14 Water Street, POB 921, Assonet, MA 02702, ph # 508-664-3001. Good luck. ps. I don't know the name of the part either.

M

Mike Stern

Mysterious do-hicky

My 1979 O'Day 23 has the same sheeting arrangement; a triangular piece of stainless steel (about 2x2x2)with holes at each corner. Two of the holes are attached to stainless wire fastenings, with one of the wires attaching to the turnbuckle at the base of the backstay (which is about a foot short of the transom), and the other wire attaching to a fitting in the transom. The mainsheet blocks then attach to the third hole. When I bought my boat, it was unrigged, and I remember the previous owner explaining this arrangement to me as I nodded my head sagely, all the time thinking "what the heck is he talkin' about?" I do not know the name of this do-hicky either, nor have I ever seen it in a catalog. However, mine has the Schafer logo on it, so maybe they can help. You might want to take this opportunity to install a traveler arrangement on your boat. Good luck.

J

Jim

In west catalogue

look at page 491 in the west marine 2000 sailboat master catalogue. There are three listed and it says that they can special order other sizes. The only difference from those pictured and mine is the the third hole that is used to attach the sheet is 1/2 inch.

J

Jim

model number

model number 285710 for 16.89. This is for two plates with pins. As I mentioned earlier this plate has 3 5/16" holes and mine has a 1/2" hole where the sheet is attached. I dont think this makes any real difference but you could always drill it out larger.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Ok guys, figured it out . . .

I think perhaps there is a bit of confusions regarding the purpose of the triangular piece. It is intended to be used to create a backstay adjuster on boats with split backstays. This makes more sense to me. I have been wondering why the mainsheet would be rigged off the backstay. This would create a system by which adjusting the sheet would alter the backstay tension and change rig tuning. While the system would not be affected _much_ I was still having trouble picturing it. Those of you with the plate, is it poassible that it could be rigged as a backstay adjuster on your boat? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Mike Stern

Justin - its not part of a split backstay

As bizarre as it seems, the triangular piece serves as the anchor point for the mainsheet, and is not part of a split backstay configuration. On my '79 O'Day 23, the triangle has a strand of wire rope (standing rigging)about a foot and a half long attached to one corner. The end of this wire affixes to a fitting on the transom. The backstay turnbuckle then attaches to another corner of the triangle. In effect, the backstay is short of the transom by about a foot and a half; the triangle and fittings then extend the backstay to the fitting in the transom. The mainsheet blocks then attach to the third corner of the triangle. You are correct when you say that this affects the tuning of the rig, but I haven't had a problem with it, or at least one I, with my lack of racing experience, can discern. Its other drawback is lack of a traveler.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Ah!

I was missing the fact that the wire rope from the triangle was in line with the backstay. I was picturing it running to the transom, and the other corner of the plate attached to the _top_ of the turnbuckle. Does mounting the sheet in that location change the sheeting angle a great deal? In order to get a similar sheeting angle with a fitting mounted to the boat itself, it would have to be _aft_ of the transom. Perhaps this was a compromise? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Mike Stern

Sheeting angle

The sheeting angles obtainable are no different than they would be if the mainsheet were secured to any other fixed centerline point. This arrangement does remove that point from the cockpit floor or cabin top and get it out of the way. I still think the best "compromise" arrangement on boats this size is the standard traveller arrangement on a Catalina 22. The traveller is on the top edge (taffrail?) of the transom, not on the cockpit floor or cabin top. Good sail shaping control and convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.