Minor (Cosmetic) hull repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

Hi, I pulled my boat for the winter and found two minor issues - hull overall looked great. In the top part of the picture is where it looks like a chunk of gelcoat (or other white somewhat flexible stuff got pulled off). The part on the bottom is on the bow where it looks like I hit something and it took a chunk of the gelcoat off (but not down to the blue plastic water barrier). What would folks recommend for to repair these? Also does anyone recognize what the bottom paint is? It is charcoal or black and is a type of epoxy (does not appear to be ablative). Stuff worked great this past year and I would like to use it again.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
RE

Place a quarter next to damaged area for size of repair. Are both of these damaged areas below the water line? paulj

R

Ray

Ding size of a dime

The ding by the bow is the size of a dime, and only went slightly into the gelcoat. I could just get a little bit of gelcoat (such as in a stick) and fill it in and just paint over. I was thinking it may not be worth the bother to barrier coat. For the spot on the keel, that is about 2 inches across and was peeling away at the edge. Seemed more flexible than gelcoat would be.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
RE

Ray On the small chips I used Evercoat Gel Coat Scratch Patch. paulj

R

Ray

Patches to the Keel Gelcoat

I have now sanded my hull and have some cracking and peeling on lead keel gelcoat (?). What is the best material to use to patch? At West Marine the guy was recommending this one brand that was low gloss (non-waxed - WM #348170; MFG #105180). I am thinking the best way is to remove the loose stuff, apply the gelcoat, and then cover over with barrier coat before painting with bottom paint. Would I need to do anything special to get the gelcoat to adhere to the lead on the keel and do I have the process correct? Also for barrier coat is the Interlux VC Tar Barrier Coat the best to use (WM Part #YEA729KIT/L, MFG #263723) or is the Interlux InterProtect 2000E better (WM Part#234542 Mfg#Y2000EKIT/QT)? Or something else? The second one supposedly is good for filling in cracks which would be better, I would think, for the keel, as there is some cracking there. I also have one spot of bare gelcoat on the hull just forward of the rudder (I suspect it was knocked off from dragging a crab pot that had a board attached) that I need to patch the barrier coat up with.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
3 Years ago when we purchased our C-310....

We noticed significant cosmetic gel coat issues after the first season haul out. My wife was furious, so I contacted the dealer (Freeman Eckley in Vermillion, OH). They went to the mat for us, so the following spring, we took the boat back to their yard. The boat was stripped, barrier coated, and painted at no charge to us. This was a about a $3200.00 job! Long story short...Catalina no longer barrier coats their hulls (neither do many other boat manufacturers) because they feel that the quality of the gel coat does not warrant this. They DO barrier coat the keels, but not the get coat. This was not a blistering issue, so I don't think it is cause for alarm. The boat is in the water for 5-6 months out of the year. Anyway, we have not had any problems since the boat was barrier coated. I've got nothing but good things to say about our dealer going the distance with us, and would definitely buy our next boat from them. Also, this issue would NOT inhibit us from buying another Catalina...we love our boat!

R

Ray

Next Step

Just to be clear I have no gel coat chipping or blistering on the hull itself. All of the chipping and cracking is on the lead keep where some of it is attributable to striking objects (such as crab pots) and the rest is, I suspect, from the expansion and contraction of the lead in the keel. My previous boat, a US 27, also had a solid lead keel that had barrier coat and bottom paint only no it and it was just fine. I suspect Catalina used a gel coat covering just to make it a little prettier/smoother. I don't think it is serious enough to start stripping the gelcoat off of the keel, so what is the best interim fix - just paint over with a filling barrier coat {Interlux InterProtect 2000E WM Part#234542 Mfg#Y2000EKIT/QT) and re-paint with bottom paint?

Jul 16, 2006
-Catalina C310 RNSYS
Your final solution? patching and coating?

Hello Ray, I have noticed the same same problem with the gel coat and barrier on my lead keel. I am preparing my work list for this Spring (if it ever arrives here in Halifax). Did you use the West System and just patch the loose areas? I am planning on taking the loose materials off and then follow the procedure found in West's textbook on fibreglass repair. I am very interested in your outcome. Regards Chris

R

Ray

Gelcoat of West System should work

Chris, I am still waiting for it to get warm enough, and am still thinking about my options. At West Marine they recommended that I chip off the old gelcoat, clean it off and re-apply gel coat; then seal with barrier coat and paint. One of the other guys in the marina I trust recommended I just use the West System epoxy to seal up the cracks and then fill in with West System epoxy/filler combination. For on the keel I don't think it really matters much as long as you clean the lead with acetone good. None of my chips are near fiberglass hull itself, and I have heard that on some of the newer boats they don't even apply gelcoat to the keel anymore. On my old US27 the lead keel was just painted. IN either way to me it is a cosmetic issue, and from everything I have heard either way works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.