Middle Keys Charter

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Well we made it to Florida! My wife is tired of all the driving so we will spend some time in St Augustine.
Got Active Captain loaded on my tablet and what do you know, Sombero Key is already listed for a waypoint.
We will pick up the boat on Wednesday and the chance rain that was in an earlier forecast has decreased. The wind is still predicted at an ideal 10 - 15 knots but from the north. Highs in the 70's and lows in the upper 60's. I have all of the eateries written down to try as we pass by in our travels.(Thanks a bunch everybody) Video camera batteries are all charged and sunscreen is at the ready.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
The wind is still predicted at an ideal 10 - 15 knots but from the north.
North wind is ideal as you will mostly be sailing a WSW and ENE route. Hawk Channel waters out to the reef should be relatively smooth. Perfect for snorkeling. Send lots of vids and pics. I am going to have to live this vicariously for now.

BTW, if you should run into Stephanie, (aka the Boat Babe), and Brian in St. Augustine, tell 'em I said hi. Haven't seen them since they left Tarpon Springs.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
When you leave Homestead on your way to Marathon, stop at Alabama Jack's for lunch. I love that place. It will get you into the Keys mood. They close at 6 due to the bugs. I assume you are driving to Marathon.
Alabama Jacks is a NO MISS spot to stop, It is in the middle of NoWhere but parking could be an issue!
Our son would go to the Ocean Reef Club than take some of his close coworkers to Alabama Jacks for Fun Stuff, and the food is good also, we took his recommendation and stopped there-Very Worthy

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
We are chartering with Florida Keys Sailing out of Keys Fishery & Marina. ...
We just made the crossing from Morgans Bluff in the Bahamas yesterday (3 days) and are anchored offshore by Florida Keys Sailing and went in to Keys Fisheries last night for something to eat. I'm also interested in how the trip went. Hope you had a great time,

Sumner
==================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 8, 2015
Sorry for the late report. The delay was intentional in order to allow sufficient time to recover from the despondency incurred from the realization that my sailing dream won't materialize into what I had hoped.
First off, let me state that it was great to be back in Florida again. Our first stop in that great state (OK, I'm a little partial since I was born there) was to spend the night in St Augustine. I had heard of St. Augustine but didn't realize it had the distinction of being the oldest city in the US. The next morning, my wife, having spent time there before, knew I would enjoy touring the Castillo de San Marcos which is the oldest and largest masonry fort in the continental United States. We also toured The Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine which has quite an interesting history as well.
Just after heading south out of town, we both were getting hungry so we stopped at a little seafood shack along side the road where I had a huge crab-cake sandwich that was totally awesome. Try as I would, I just couldn't eat the whole thing. I really tried because it was so delicious but I just couldn't. As the waitress brought us the check she asked if we would like some desert, maybe a piece of key lime pie? OK, we'll both have a piece to go. As I was waiting for my change, I took a little bite just to see if was as good as the sandwich. Folks, that was the best bite of pie I have ever had! I took just one more little bite because it was so good. Even thought I was already stuffed from the crab-cake sandwich, I couldn't stop eating the pie. (JT's Seafood Shack is highly recommended)
So far we were off to a great start and we haven't even gotten to the boat yet.
Our next destination was Key West since my wife had never been there. As expected, there was the typical Spring Break crazies but we did manage to get through the crowd and pick up some more Kino sandals.
Once on the boat, we had an enjoyable sail to Seven Mile Bridge. Even though the wind was up, we decided to head out to the ocean side and anchor in a protective cove for the night. Shortly after I was certain we were secure, several other boats joined us in the cove. They appeared to be full time cruisers so that made me feel better that I had chosen a good spot.
Well, we were all wrong! The wind shifted just enough during the night that our little cove was no longer protected.
Even though we took Gunni's advice and got our neighbor to prescribe her a scopolamine patch, my wife was starting to feel queasy. Even though I had planned to make her favorite egg omelet, she wasn't interested in eating anything.
Heading out, directly downwind to Sombrero Reef, she kept feeling worse. Bad enough that by the time we arrived and picked up the mooring ball, I was single handling the pickup. (Wish I had the video camera on at the time because for the first time ever in my life picking up a mooring ball, I did it single handed and performed the evolution flawlessly.) Of course we arrived early enough that there were no other boats to witness.

Lighthouse snorkling.jpg

We did accomplish our goals set out for this trip.
1.) The boat we chartered would be adequate for my wife to be content on out at sea.
2.) The performance of the boat was certainly adequate.
3.) My wife seasickness is not something I would wish for her to experience on a regular basis.

After having a rainday at work yesterday, I got out on our Goman Express 30 for an afternoon sail in near ideal conditions.
Nothing but pure joy for the whole afternoon.
My only remaining hope of experiencing my dream is that when the refit is complete, the seakindness of our Allied Seawind would be sufficient that my wife could tolerate short passages between the islands.

PS haven't had time to edit any of the video yet, so there is more to follow.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a lot more trips.

On the sea sickness I think the hardest thing for one to do is to get busy, stay in the cockpit and keep looking at the horizon. She probably didn't feel like it but get her at the helm at the first sign of not feeling good.

I almost got seasick on an air craft carrier in really, really heavy seas between Washington and southern Calif.. Thought for sure I'd get sick at some point on the Mac or the Endeavour. So far it is just the opposite. After being on the boat for days at a time without getting ashore I get sick going to shore. Haven't thrown up but have felt terrible to the point on the Mac trip to the Bahamas I took Dramamine before going ashore and that helped.

The last couple months Dottie and I have made an effort to try and get ashore at least every 4-5 days if possible. The other day we spent the first day getting about 60 miles across the Banks and anchored on them the first night. It was not comfortable. I didn't feel so good when we started in the morning. I just kept my eyes on the horizon and slowly felt better and better,

Sumner
===========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Happy to hear that you accomplished your goals for the trip even with a couple of “set backs.” Managing a sea-sickness situation to minimize it often requires some experience with the cruising area. Wind shifts during the night are common occurances on the ocean, and often do lead to uncomfortable nights in partially enclosed coves. Full time cruisers, as you said, may have techniques or equipment to tamp down effects of uncomfortable anchorages if they end up in one. Where you are positioned in a cove might also determine your exposure to shifting winds, swells, etc.

Sombrero Key looks to be a very exposed spot to spend your second night with a seasick gal aboard if that is what you did. I can see that the moorings are wedged in among the corals offering some protection, especially from the north, but not much from the south. Sometimes you have to wake up from your dream for a short time so you may dream again later!!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Thanks for taking the time to write up you experience. Did you get to snorkel on the reef?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great write up @Cowpokee . Can't wait for the movie...

As KG stated some good some bad, but mostly good. That is cruising, at least my experience of it.

Great feeling, even with out the audience, to pick up a ball short handed and feel secure on a new boat none the less.

Always rewarding to come back and go for a sail with a good friend after being out and teased by other suiters. You are lucky she did not act up. Did you tell her about your flirting with another. Better not next thing you know stuff might stop working on the good old gal. (the Gorman Express 30 not the admiral... Clear your mind.)

Mal de Mer, the Sea's curse. There have been many attempts at cures but none with absolute success, other than time and activity. Best for me is to be on deck with the wind in my face and the horizon visible. Remember a ferry crossing of the English Channel during a rather brutish storm in 65. The inside decks were awash with the breakfast of English passengers. Ships crew were out with bucket and mop. I knew if I stayed one more moment I'd be joining the folk rushing to the nearest head not making it. So I went outside and stood watch on the rail. I am pretty sure that experience cemented my love for the sea. One of the cheeky crew came out to check if I was ok, and offered my a kippers sandwich. I declined but I took his flask of hot tea. I knew I was going to be out there a while and the channel is never balmy during a storm.

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to write up you experience. Did you get to snorkel on the reef?
Yes I did! Funny story there. I dove in first with out the video camera for a quick look around. When I came back to the swim ladder, I was slightly confused about an unusual appearing mess on parts of the sugar scoop. Just as I was about to figure out what it was, my wife yelled down "LOOK OUT BELOW, THERE IS MORE COMING". On a 37' boat there is over 80' of rail to get sick at and she chose the only 3' of space I could use to get back on the boat.
As far as the video of the reef, I didn't have the right filter on the camera lens so it all turned out with a considerable blue hue. I will attempt an adjustment with my video editing software when I get the time to put the video together.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks for sharing for sure, my wife and I have similar dreams too, but she has spent less time on a small boat. The C310 is suppose to really help her get comfortable with a bigger boat, she has said she likes our new boat enough to consider taking it to the gulf in 5-10 years depending on kid situation and what the future holds.