Microwave Cabinet

Mar 29, 2015
Catalina 310 Essex, NY
I purchased a 2002 Catalina 310 at the end of last season and I'm working through deferred maintenance (fortunately very little needed) and upgrades. I'm hung up one one: the microwave cabinet.

I'm hoping that somebody might recently have worked through the following...

Either 1. replace the microwave with a new model that will properly fit (including depth) the middle cabinet, or 2. remove the microwave and find a matching replacement door to match the other cabinets. I'm totally open to either option, but I'm stuck.

I can't find a compatible microwave. (Those recommended on other threads are no longer available for purchase.) And can't find a source for a matching replacement door. I'm happy to eliminate the microwave and gain an extra storage space, but I would like to avoid hiring a local cabinetry team to copy the other cabinet doors if I can.

Has anybody navigated this challenge? All advice welcome. Thanks!

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
I have a 2002 310 as well and bought a new microwave on Amazon that fits fine. It is maybe 3/4" not wide enough so I made a couple of shims out of thin trim board that I wrapped in a sticky type of shelf paper and then wedged them in. Looks fine and works great.

I think it was this one:
Sunbeam SGS90701W-B 0.7-Cubic Foot Microwave Oven, White

And I think I got this info from somebody here on this forum several months ago. Can't remember who that was but thanks again.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 29, 2015
Catalina 310 Essex, NY
Thanks. It doesn't protrude too far? Were you able to secure the mountain screws or are the shim boards adequate to keep it from sliding around/out?

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
It doesn't protrude too far. It protrudes a little but that allows the door to swing open. I do not have mine "secured" with screws nor are the shims secured with screws. But it doesn't move...the shims "wedge" it in tight. Shims are wrapped with a grippy shelf liner materials to help them stay in place.

Had it for over a year now and sail 4-5 times a week on average and frequently in 20+ winds with 25 degrees or more of heel and it doesn't move.

The previous one was screwed in with 4 screws on the base. But screw holes didn't line up with the new one.

Cheers,
Jim

Attachments

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88454&stc=1&d=1432735823

I bought this micro wave at Canadian Tire in Toronto. It fit perfectly with out any fiddling with it.

* Master Chef 0.7. cu.ft. Microwave Oven features 6 auto cooking/one touch menu for frozen dinners, reheating, beverage, potato, popcorn and pizza

* Features digital timer, digital clock, removable glass turntable, and push button door style

* Stylish black and stainless steel finish add to any kitchen décor
0.7 cu.ft capacity

* 700 watts

This is my second season and it works well.

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES:D

OH I forgot it was $69 Canadian + Tax

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I mounted a microwave in my old Columbia and had to use screws to secure it. Kind of scary drilling holes in it but I used a depth gauge on the drill to just barely penetrate the case, and used the shortest possible screws. It's mostly empty space inside there and it would be very unlikely to hit something with the drill or screws. I did probe the holes with a piece of wire to be sure the screws wouldn't touch anything inside.

Mar 29, 2015
Catalina 310 Essex, NY
Thanks, everybody. Really appreciate it! Ordered the Sunbeam for just under $70, and it should arrive in next couple of days. Also heard back from Catalina that they can make me a new cabinet door for about $270. I'm tempted, though I think I'll give the oven a shake down first. If I decide to go with the third cabinet door instead maybe I can offer the micro in the forum. Unless there's a policy against that sort of thing? Thanks again!