Michigan Trailer sailer destinations

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hey Everyone,

my home port is my driveway, my boat is a Capri 18.
Favorite destinations are De Tour Village, Traverse Bay, and Escanaba. The lack of head or galley makes the triangle from Escanaba to Feyette to Washington Island about the longest adventure I’m up for.

I’m considering Duncan Bay. Haven’t been to Higgins or Houghton Lakes in a long time (close to 40 years).

Any destinations I should be considering?
Thanks in advance,

John

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You might be able to extend your cruising grounds if you went swimming now and then, since you don't have a head. Camping stove on the cockpit seat (away from the fuel locker) could work for some fine meals.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@PaulK
there is a small portapotty. I’ve prepped it many times, not sure it’s ever been used.

although it’s 22 miles from Feyette to Washington island. That’s not a bad run in an 18’ boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When s##t happens, it happens. You need a place to go - or at least I do. It could be be a MSD or a bucket. On one offshore cruise it was a grocery bag lining the head bowl. Not pretty! When a crew mate came up the companionway, in an a gagging state, we would give clear passage to the rail.
We expected better but that is what it was. 100 mies off Sandy Hook is no time to negotiate comfort issues.