Mice vs. Sail

meross

Jun 19, 2023
Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 French Lick
I finally got my first boat powered by a sail. It had been shrunk wrapped for a few years, not registered since 2018, and I was anxious to remove wrap when I got home to see free boats condition. BW Harpoon 5.2. I was pleasantly surprised. The only issue that needs to be addressed is an exit hatch on the job installed by rodents. I’m completely sail illiterate. From the attached picture does this seem to be resolvable with tape?

Thanks for your input.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
No. I don't think tape is what you want. Send the sail off to a reputable sail loft (I like Bacon Sails out of Annapolis) and have them patch it.

Tape is good for a tear or rip and only to keep it from getting worse until you can get back to shore and fix it correctly.

meross

Jun 19, 2023
Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 French Lick
I finally got my first boat powered by a sail. It had been shrunk wrapped for a few years, not registered since 2018, and I was anxious to remove wrap when I got home to see free boats condition. BW Harpoon 5.2. I was pleasantly surprised. The only issue that needs to be addressed is an exit hatch on the job installed by rodents. I’m completely sail illiterate. From the attached picture does this seem to be resolvable with tape?

Thanks for your input.
I live in New England (In New Hampshire three miles from Massachusetts). Are there any suggested sail repairers in my area?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
The top smaller hole is easily a job for sail repair tape. Sail repair tape is dacron cloth with adhesive on it, not duct tape.
For the big hole, it depends on how much you want to spend. You could have it professionally repaired, but if you are generally handy you can easily do it yourself. You could try sail tape, on both sides, and sewn in. You could get a scrap of dacron and sew it on yourself. Don't do tape alone on the big hole without sewing it or you risk a larger tear.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
when buying a used sailboat, the first thing i do is buy "new" sails. always have , always will.

why patch an old worn-out sail.

sailing with old stretched sails is a buzz kill.

your new to sailing? lesson nu. one is replace worn-out sails.

i'm old school, just my $0.02

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm taking a stab in the dark but I'm guessing a repair like that would be in the range of $100. There should be a few in your area. Sailcare does a lot of mail order business