Miami / Upper Keys - New Years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott Johnston

Anyone know of any special activities taking place in Miami / Upper Keys for New Years? Will be cruising in the area and are always looking for a good spot to anchor and party. Does anyone in Miami actually own a Hunter or will we spend our trip fending off hoards of jelous (sp?) catalina owners. After all, everyone wishes they had a 34' Hunter - don't they? On the serious side we are also interested in a good spot to anchor and gain access to Sth. Beach. Would like to make this one of our stops to visit old haunts. Safe passages, fair winds & cold beer (anything but bud) - Best wishes to all for the holiday season. Scott, Winni & Dan 83-H34 Island Hops.

S

Scott Johnston

oops - Shared forum.

Just realized this forum is shared with the cart-alina & bene-tow groups. Didn't mean to offend any non-hunter owners (apologising in advance). Just jesting with fellow sailors. Scott 83-H34 Island Hops.

F

Frank Hall

Keys?....why not Bimini?

Hi, Scott..... come join us for a venture across to West End Bimini on the 29th..... come back after New Years.... slips and anchorage(s) available over there for Hunters...and the Huntress...:)) Frank

S

Scott Johnston

Weather Windows

Only thing stopping us from buzzing the Bahamas is time. I've heard that this time of year can be the trickiest for timing a crossing. Some boats have waited several weeks. You can never be sure to get a weather window to cross the gulf stream, and get back! Unfortunately business & family comitments limit the time we can spare - this trip. That's why we scaled back to a leisurely cruise of S.E. Fla. Being rushed for time can lead to bad passagemaking decisions that risk the saftey of the crew. Saftey is one thing that we as a crew will not comprimise on. Scott 83-H34 Island Hops.

J

Jim Ewing

Yes

www.miami.com has a description of a MAJOR fireworks display going from the tops of buildings, Dodge Island Bridge all over the place.This will be downtown bayfront. There are a large number of places to anchor but depending on your mast height some of the bridges may be too short to get to some easily. Some of the anchorages are exposed to weather so check that before you pick. Check an Intracoastal or Keys cruising guide for specifics. In the Upper Keys I like Pumpkin Key off of Key Largo, some of the best holding in the Keys and protected from N, E, and S. The Arsenecker(sp?) Keys in S. Biscayne Bay are quiet but fairly exposed (good place in a norther though). Boca Chita Park is nice, fairly well protected but probably crowded on the holiday. Closer to Miami No-Name Harbor on Key Biscayne has moorings for a reasonable fee and you can take the bus downtown. Also probably crowded for the holiday. Also you will see lots of Hunters in Miami. Florida Yachts is based there. Have a great cruise and e-mail me, jewing@netster.com, if you want to talk further. Jim "Prospect"

R

R. Cooper

Sorry it's a Hunter.

I think the only thing more depressing than having a Beneteau on the hard, ia Owning a Hunter in Miami That was a joke!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.