Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to every one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Rodrigues

On Monday, I get to spend a few days at a desert mining town in Nevada known as GABBS, my wife's "home town." GABBS is located in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, what was described as a "large sailboat on a trailer, in a garage, for sale for $400." It supposedly hasn't moved from that same secluded spot since 1984. Remember those stories of someone finding a flyable airplane in some farmers barn?...Well, hopefully this will be the sailboat equivalent. So what is a sailboat doing locked away in a garage in a desert town? The seller is reported to be 87 years old.

P

Phil

Christmas in GABBS

Perhaps the Christmas fairy will look well on you. Good luck. I look forward to hearing the outcome of your find. Don't believe them if they tell you that it was only sailed by this little old man to church on sundays! And in the context of seasonal delusions, too much duck tape is a BAD sign, not wrapping paper! Many best wishes to all forum dwellers this season. "Up North" this is all we have this time of year. Regards Phil

D

Doug Rodrigues

Here I am in Gabbs, Nv.

Got to inspect the boat yesterday. It has been parked outside for some time since the latest property owner took-over. The new owner wants the boat off her property but cannot pursuade the boat owner (who lives in Reno) to do so. The boat is the same size as a Mac 25 but has a two-part swing keel (no rust). The keel appears to be steel, not cast iron. The hull is 25 feet long. The mast is 27-28 feet long. At a glance, one would assume that it is a Mac 25. It even has the same design hull stripes painted on. It has a swing-up motor mount. All wood surfaces would have to be replaced and the interior completely redone. The boat's hull is undamaged. The mast and boom have no corrosion what-so-ever. The surge-brake trailer would need a new master cylinder and probably wheel brake assemblies. The frame of the trailer only has a minimal amount of surface rust...about what you'd see on a brand trailer parked outside for a couple of years in salt air. The original paint is still on it. So...unless someone here needs a replacement trailer, mast or boom, as soon as I find storage space near my home, I'll probably buy it for those three items. The boat itself would take too much time and money to restore. I'll have photos to e-mail in about one week to anyone interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.