Mercury Outboard Motor-3.3HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee Hadjiosif

I recently bought a mercury 3.3HP 2-cycle motor for my dinghy from West Marine. When I tilt it up, gas leaks out of the carburator. I took it back to WM and they said that any motor will do that if you don't first shut it off by turning off the fuel supply valve before you tilt it up in order to burn all the fuel from the carburator. I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and how they are handling it. Thanks, Lee S/V Calaloo

D

Dave Royce

Always run them out of gas

When I had my two-cycle the mechanic told me to leave it running and disconnect the fuel and let the engine run out of gas. It keeps the carb and piston from gumming up. I never had any fuel leaking when I tilted it. I do the same for my new 4-cycle also.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Kinda..

.I have that same engine, and it will leak a bit when tilted if I forget to shut off the fuel feed and the vent. Same as the Tohatsu I had for ten years before.. the same engine as the Merc. Rick D.

C

Crazy Dave Condon

right on the money

If you look close at this engine, it sounds or appears to be a Tohatsu built. Fuel is gravity flow feed to the carburetor. When you tilt it, fuel may leak out. Several things to look at. There is a fuel shot off before the carb generally on the stbd sid of the engine. You can also close the vent but do not forget to reopen it and finally make sure the carb bowel is tight. I do recommend running out the gas as the end of the day mostly to prevent the carb and jets from being clogged particulay during the winter. Crazy DAve Condon

K

Kenneth Pfaff

Doesn't this engine also have an internal tank?

what do you do if you are using that instead of the exteranal tank?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Doesn't Take an External Tank, Ken

nm

Status
Not open for further replies.