memory foam mattress

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Anyone have a recommendation for a memory foam mattress company for a Legend 37.5? The admiral is asking for an upgrade to the skinny, spring loaded mattress that has been on the boat since 1990.

Thank you,
Ben

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
had a slipmate that spent at least a boat unit on one for his legend....we had a thin real mattress and spent a couple hundred on two memory mattress from the upscale box store brand and simply cut them to match the outline of the base mattress.

It was ton's better than his, he said a lot cheaper. I would try that before spending the big bucks on something that does not work or allow you to rest comfortably.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
We added 3" of memory foam to our mattress. Then made new sheets to cover. I works and fills great.
We got the memory foam from a local store and cut it with a electric carving tool.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Amazon

I think we got our memory foam on Amazon to the size
I needed and any size and what ever thickness too.
I wanted to get 4'' thickness but wife said to go with 2'' or 3''.
Nick

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
a friend of mine at our slip commented last weekend re his expensive memory foam mattress, "it must have Alzheimer's, because its memory is shot!"

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
we have just purchased a latex mattress for home after having one custom made for our H42 2 years ago- best bed EVER- both ours have pocket springs as well.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We got a memory foam mattress topper from Walmart. Works great and was about $120.00

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
IKEA (the Swedish retailer)

Has a number of "foam" mattresses (SP) in various sizes. We purchased one sized for a futon. Use a electric knife to cut it to fit.

Works great. Cost $ 85.00.

Now that I have purchased a Sailrite sewing machine, we will buy more and replace all our cushions.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I replaced my V- Berth mattress with a custom made memory foam mattress from Bargain Bedding. Best upgrade so far! Just make a template of cardboard for the area, and they do the rest.

Sep 8, 2014
Hunter Ledgend We'll see
Memory foam at bargin lots

Hi all,

I have a bad back and I bought a 1.5" memory foam mattress pad at bargin lots then cut it to size for $24. I know that Walmart sells a 3" one for over $100 but I personally find that one suffocating, you sink into it and get trapped.

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Providence, RI
I got 2" hard foam (marvelux) and glued 2" of visco gel foam on a top. The mattresses now 4" tall. Very nice and sleep is good.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I got 2" hard foam (marvelux) and glued 2" of visco gel foam on a top. The mattresses now 4" tall. Very nice and sleep is good.
What did it cost you, and where did you get it? I'm looking to do the same thing.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I have a 6" memory foam mattress in my basement that I was going to cut to fit my v-berth and just get rid of the 3 piece original cushions. I figured it would be a p.i.t.a. getting to my storage compartments under the v-berth having to lift up a one piece mattress. I decided just to keep the original cushions and add a fitted 2" latex topper that can easily be rolled up when not in use. I will be making my own fitted sheets and cut down a queen size comforter to fit also. Memory foam for me didn't cut it. I am way to restless of a sleeper for a memory foam mattress. Had to wait a few minutes after each time I moved to "settle back in". I found them hot in the summer too.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Can you share the specifications on what you ordered? The density matching has been my issue, and I don't want to do multiple tests.

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
Anyone have a recommendation for a memory foam mattress company for a Legend 37.5? The admiral is asking for an upgrade to the skinny, spring loaded mattress that has been on the boat since 1990.

Thank you,
Ben
When we fabricated our mattresses, I started with 2.5 inches of Heavy density foam, with 2 inches of medium densiity foam and topped with 3 inches of 5.0 density memory foam for our aft cabin on our 1995 37.5. The mattress is cut into 3 pieces and covered with a marine grade upholstery. Most recommend covering memory foam to keep bedding cool. We supported the mattresses with dri deck to allow ventilation. Because the mattress is 3 inches higher than the original, I had to make allowances for the doors to open at the end of the bed.
We love our bed and enjoy our nights aboard.