Measuring backstay movement

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree it is Rube Goldberg
I understand the idea. I guess the need for metrics (measured changes) makes sense as you are learning your rig. Everything is new and one wants to be able to repeat specific steps that gives you success and limits failure. This feels like a lot of work for little reward. When you get on the boat and start practicing with the rig I think you will get a feel for what is driving the boat successfully and what is a waste of your time. Pulling your backstay exactly 2 or 3 inches will quickly become needlessly tedious. Pulling the back stay from 2 points and then having too readjust after a tack will be lost and you will not be making many backstay (during your race) adjustments as the mainsheet, tiller and traveler will become the primary tools.

Sure you'll adjust the backstay... In tight when going to weather (checking the forestay and the mainsail) and released when going downwind.

If you win races doing this you'll be happy. If you are neck and neck you'll be looking for every advantage.

I think you'll find that your wins will be based on a lot of other things, not your backstay 1" measurements. More likely it will be the number of practice sailing sessions you have with your crew and a coach watching your performance. The experience you have in the sailing conditions you race. The accuracy you use in the course and tactics applied. The understanding of your competition and how they are racing their boat. The way you maintain your boat in proper racing condition.

Feb 16, 2017
This is all good and dandy suggestions the hard part of this is execution!
The big picture is too open 2 lazarettes. One of which is a pain the ass to run lines across and to not make it a kid's games that resembles a Macramé stepping through lines. If someone has an idea that has less than 4 blocks to get it to the main traveler on 2 sides, by all means, speak up! Oh, one last thing the lazarettes still have to open without having to release a bunch of lines.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Why not use the block system on one leg only, except use a double ended line, each end leading to the respective rails with fairleads? Then you can simply mark the standing leg for the end block position.
I'm quoting my own thought. :confused: This would probably add complication. First, the fairleads have to work without getting in the way. Second, the cleats would have to be on their respective rail. You couldn't cleat the 2 ends of the line at the block …. probably a bad idea. :frown: