MD7A tachometer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donald L. Hendrix

The tachometer for the MD7A diesel on my Islander 28 is misbehaving. It does not work when the engine is started but 'comes to life' after the engine is run continuously for about 15 min or so. If the engine is stopped with the tach operating correctly and then immediately restarted, the tachometer will again not work for some period of time. After the tachometer begins to operate, it seems to read correctly most of the time but the meter needle will occasionally bounce around and even quit working for a few minutes. Is there some way I can tell if it is the meter or the sender which is at fault? Changing the tach doesn't seem like too much of a job, but has anyone out there replaced the tach sender on this engine who could tell me how difficult this job would be? Also, are these two parts (tach and sender) available somewhere?

K

kent

Try posting on boatdiesel.com they have an MD7A forum, or Torreson.com. I have the same problem with my 1981 MD7A, it just started. kent B30 Jazzed

K

kent

MD7A tachometer problems 2

Oh yea, or try Coastal Marine, they are a Volvo dealer in Seattle and have a forum on thier web site. I am in Tacoma and they have been very helpful. kent

Status
Not open for further replies.