Maxwell 17 Single Speed Winch Service

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
I have my cabin top winch (Maxwell 17 SS) removed for servicing. It's currently disassembled and the metal bits are soaking in Varsol.

ForumRunner_20140414_124218.jpg

Disassembly was straightforward, but I'll take some more photos during reassembly in case there's any interest.

I do have a question regarding winch grease. The P.O. left a tube of what appears to be generic winch grease on board called 'Corrosion Block'. Is there any negative feedback on this product? If not I'm going to go ahead and try it during reassembly.

This from their website:

ForumRunner_20140414_124709.jpg

And the MSDS:

http://www.corrosionblock.com/files/msds/msds-cb-grease-eng-2012.pdf

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I have my cabin top winch (Maxwell 17 SS) removed for servicing. It's currently disassembled and the metal bits are soaking in Varsol.

View attachment 74084

Disassembly was straightforward, but I'll take some more photos during reassembly in case there's any interest.

I do have a question regarding winch grease. The P.O. left a tube of what appears to be generic winch grease on board called 'Corrosion Block'. Is there any negative feedback on this product? If not I'm going to go ahead and try it during reassembly.

This from their website:

View attachment 74085

And the MSDS:

http://www.corrosionblock.com/files/msds/msds-cb-grease-eng-2012.pdf
if you use it that's your choice as i don't know any thing about that brand...
but when applying it just do it sparingly it doesn't take much..and when you oil the palls just one drop of 3in1 oil on each pall ...

regards

woody

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
if you use it that's your choice as i don't know any thing about that brand...
but when applying it just do it sparingly it doesn't take much..and when you oil the palls just one drop of 3in1 oil on each pall ...

regards

woody
Thanks for the tips there Woodster, and there are no pawls on this bad boy.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
The service (clean, inspect, grease) of my Maxwell 17 One Speed is complete. What follows is a walkthrough.

An exploded diagram. It references a ST version, but the non-ST is identical, just ignore parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 16. Really, everything else is exactly the same.

Maxwell 17 One Speed Exploded Diagram.jpg

The disassembly procedures include...

Ready to go (feel free to pretend it's still on the boat)

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 011.JPG

Remove retaining cap from the drum (counter-clockwise turn with special tool or needle-nose vice-grips)

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 012.JPG

Slide drum up and off (press down on the drive shaft with your thumbs while you pull up on the drum with your fingers). CAUTION, don't pull the innards up with it, and don't lose your grip on the drum when it pops free!

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 013.JPG

...at this point you can access the five bolts that secure the base of the winch to the boat. You can remove it and take it home, or continue to work on it in place...

Remove bearing outer race from inside drum (not listed in diagram)

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 014.JPG

Slide needle roller bearing up off of the pedestal

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 015.JPG

Slide plastic thrust washer up off of the pedestal

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 016.JPG

Loosen and remove the three cheese head screws that attach the pedestal to the base

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 017.JPG

Hold the pedestal down and slide the drive shaft out

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 018.JPG

The driveshaft out after using a vice, block of wood, and mallet to separate the thrust washer and bush from the drive shaft

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 019.JPG

Slide the pedestal up off the clutch assembly and base, slide the idler gear and bush off of the idler gear shaft

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 020.JPG

Slightly spread and slide the bearing inner race off of the pedestal

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 021.JPG

Remove the anti-clockwise clutch assembly, two mating pieces

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 022.JPG

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 023.JPG

DO NOT LOSE THE SPRINGS THAT ARE SLIPPED INTO THE FOUR HOLES ON BOTH THE TOP AND BOTTOM FACES OF THE LARGE CENTRAL CLUTCH GEAR, AS SHOWN IN THE NEXT TWO PHOTOS!

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 024.JPG

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 025.JPG

Remove the clockwise clutch assembly, two mating pieces

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 026.JPG

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 027.JPG

Remove the white plastic driveshaft bush from the base

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 028.JPG

At this point you can drop everything into the Varsol. I pull plastic bits out after 30 minutes and use a brush on them, followed by a warm water rinsing. I don't trust plastics in Varsol for long. The metallic pieces sit in the Varsol bath overnight. The next day they get the brush and warm water rinse treatment as well.

The parts all cleaned up and ready for reassembly, along with the supplies (grease, Loctite, chopped paint brush, and q-tips).

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 008.JPG

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Remember to grease bearing surfaces.

Highlights include:

Press the white plastic driveshaft bush back into the base and grease the inner surface of the bush

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 030.JPG

Grease both faces of all clutch pieces

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 033.JPG

Grease both faces and the teeth of the clutch gear

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 031.JPG

Grease the idler gear shaft, and both faces and the teeth of the idler gear and install on the idler shaft. The next step is to slide the pedestal back down over the clutch assembly and secure it to the base with the cheese head screws. Here I'm adding a dab of Loctite to each screw so that they don't back out over time on their own.

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 034.JPG

Tighten the three cheese head screws. Notice the peek at the grease down inside the pedestal on the clutch assembly pieces.

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 035.JPG

Here the bearing inner race has been installed with a thin film of grease, and I'm sliding the lightly lubed (inner and outer surfaces) needle roller bearing back down onto the pedestal

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 036.JPG

Here the drive shaft thrust washer has been slipped back on, and the bush pressed back into place (used an appropriately sized deep socket and a vice to press it back onto the driveshaft). All surfaces below the thrust washer are lightly lubed

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 037.JPG

At this point, if you have to reinstall the winch on the boat, you would stop. The bolts fixing the winch base to the boat have to be installed before the final three steps are executed.

Once that's done, or if you're not reinstalling the winch onto the boat...

...lube both the inner and outer surfaces of the bearing outer race, as well as the ring teeth in the base of the drum. Slip the bearing outer race a half inch or so into the drum. Then slide the race and drum down onto the needle roller bearing/pedestal.

Maxwell 17 One Speed Service 038.JPG

Once the drum is completely seated and mated cleanly with the idler gear, spin the retaining cap back onto the drum.

Test the results. This winch sounds and feels so much healthier now.

Go sailing!

Aug 3, 2022
Hunter 25.5 Gimli
The service (clean, inspect, grease) of my Maxwell 17 One Speed is complete. What follows is a walkthrough.

An exploded diagram. It references a ST version, but the non-ST is identical, just ignore parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 16. Really, everything else is exactly the same.

View attachment 74208

The disassembly procedures include...

Ready to go (feel free to pretend it's still on the boat)

View attachment 74210

Remove retaining cap from the drum (counter-clockwise turn with special tool or needle-nose vice-grips)

View attachment 74211

Slide drum up and off (press down on the drive shaft with your thumbs while you pull up on the drum with your fingers). CAUTION, don't pull the innards up with it, and don't lose your grip on the drum when it pops free!

View attachment 74212

...at this point you can access the five bolts that secure the base of the winch to the boat. You can remove it and take it home, or continue to work on it in place...

Remove bearing outer race from inside drum (not listed in diagram)

View attachment 74213

Slide needle roller bearing up off of the pedestal

View attachment 74214

Slide plastic thrust washer up off of the pedestal

View attachment 74215

Loosen and remove the three cheese head screws that attach the pedestal to the base

View attachment 74216

Hold the pedestal down and slide the drive shaft out

View attachment 74217

The driveshaft out after using a vice, block of wood, and mallet to separate the thrust washer and bush from the drive shaft

View attachment 74218

Slide the pedestal up off the clutch assembly and base, slide the idler gear and bush off of the idler gear shaft

View attachment 74219

Slightly spread and slide the bearing inner race off of the pedestal

View attachment 74220

Remove the anti-clockwise clutch assembly, two mating pieces

View attachment 74221

View attachment 74222

DO NOT LOSE THE SPRINGS THAT ARE SLIPPED INTO THE FOUR HOLES ON BOTH THE TOP AND BOTTOM FACES OF THE LARGE CENTRAL CLUTCH GEAR, AS SHOWN IN THE NEXT TWO PHOTOS!

View attachment 74223

View attachment 74224

Remove the clockwise clutch assembly, two mating pieces

View attachment 74225

View attachment 74226

Remove the white plastic driveshaft bush from the base

View attachment 74227

At this point you can drop everything into the Varsol. I pull plastic bits out after 30 minutes and use a brush on them, followed by a warm water rinsing. I don't trust plastics in Varsol for long. The metallic pieces sit in the Varsol bath overnight. The next day they get the brush and warm water rinse treatment as well.

The parts all cleaned up and ready for reassembly, along with the supplies (grease, Loctite, chopped paint brush, and q-tips).

View attachment 74209

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Remember to grease bearing surfaces.

Highlights include:

Press the white plastic driveshaft bush back into the base and grease the inner surface of the bush

View attachment 74228

Grease both faces of all clutch pieces

View attachment 74230

Grease both faces and the teeth of the clutch gear

View attachment 74229

Grease the idler gear shaft, and both faces and the teeth of the idler gear and install on the idler shaft. The next step is to slide the pedestal back down over the clutch assembly and secure it to the base with the cheese head screws. Here I'm adding a dab of Loctite to each screw so that they don't back out over time on their own.

View attachment 74231

Tighten the three cheese head screws. Notice the peek at the grease down inside the pedestal on the clutch assembly pieces.

View attachment 74232

Here the bearing inner race has been installed with a thin film of grease, and I'm sliding the lightly lubed (inner and outer surfaces) needle roller bearing back down onto the pedestal

View attachment 74233

Here the drive shaft thrust washer has been slipped back on, and the bush pressed back into place (used an appropriately sized deep socket and a vice to press it back onto the driveshaft). All surfaces below the thrust washer are lightly lubed

View attachment 74234

At this point, if you have to reinstall the winch on the boat, you would stop. The bolts fixing the winch base to the boat have to be installed before the final three steps are executed.

Once that's done, or if you're not reinstalling the winch onto the boat...

...lube both the inner and outer surfaces of the bearing outer race, as well as the ring teeth in the base of the drum. Slip the bearing outer race a half inch or so into the drum. Then slide the race and drum down onto the needle roller bearing/pedestal.

View attachment 74235

Once the drum is completely seated and mated cleanly with the idler gear, spin the retaining cap back onto the drum.

Test the results. This winch sounds and feels so much healthier now.

Go sailing!
Great "how to" on the Maxwell 17 -- your time and effort much appreciated.

Feb 24, 2024
Hunter 25.5 Little Sodus Bay
This is a great guide!
We could not find the springs in our winches… any ideas on how to go about replacements?