maximum sailing speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the novelman

We sailed for three days last week and on one day we had 15+ knots wing-on-wing (DDW) winds for several hours. We also had about 5' swells at the same time. We hit 9 knots at one short period and 7 to 8 knots in between. I had always thought that my 25' Lancer was pretty much a slower boat but these speeds far exceeded the 7 knots maximum we did with my 22' MacGregor/Venture.
Have any of you gone faster with your 25' Lancers?
Novelman

Bonzai

Jun 23, 2009
Chris-Craft SailYacht 35 St. Simon's Island, Ga.
Novelman,
I've had my '77L25 up to 7.3 k on a good reach in around 15 k breeze.Never had the chance to sail wing and wing DDW here (in any GOOD breeze), the wind clocks around too much on my mtn. lake.
What year is your boat? Is it a PS?

N

novelman three

1975 year

Novelman,
I've had my '77L25 up to 7.3 k on a good reach in around 15 k breeze.Never had the chance to sail wing and wing DDW here (in any GOOD breeze), the wind clocks around too much on my mtn. lake.
What year is your boat? Is it a PS?
Mine is a 1975, what is a PS?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It is the cumulative affect of boat speed and the current. The boat is still only capable of about 6 knots. If you hit greater than that it is because you had 3 knots of help from the current. We hit ten knots on my 30 footer, but we were literally surfing her on waves entering the mouth of the Cape Cod Canal.

N

novelman three

GPS speed

I believe it was a designation given to the post '82 hull design called a power sailer.
My speed is per my GPS so my actual over the water speed is as given.
Novelman

N

novelman three

Power sailers

I believe it was a designation given to the post '82 hull design called a power sailer.
I just have the standard outboard of 8 HP, Not a power sailer.
Novelman

N

novelman three

surfing

It is the cumulative affect of boat speed and the current. The boat is still only capable of about 6 knots. If you hit greater than that it is because you had 3 knots of help from the current. We hit ten knots on my 30 footer, but we were literally surfing her on waves entering the mouth of the Cape Cod Canal.
A few years ago I co-owned a new 1984 30' Catalina, one of the co-owners was Ed. Ed and I sailed from Shorelina Marina at Long Beach, California to Marina del Rey and stayed at the dock overnight. The next morning the wind was brisk but we had to be back at our Shoreline dock that day. As we were leaving, the Coast Guard overtook us and suggested that we not go out. At that time a "small craft" warning was in effect. We elected to sail back to Long Beach that day and told the CG that we had sailed many times in "small craft" warnings and greater.
With the full main up and the 150, roller furling genoa flying we set the course at DDW and proceeded. Very quickly we were surfing and pegging the knot meter. Even though we did round-up twice there was no damage. We arrived at our dock, 25+ KM away in about 3 and one half hours. The sail was the best one I had experienced and I would do it again if given the chance.
Duane "novelman"

Status
Not open for further replies.