Mattress for aft cabin

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I am looking to purchase a new mattress for the aft cabin in our 386. Company I used 15 years ago is no longer in business. Need some recommendations.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
You should try to find a local company that makes boat mattresses. I had mine made with two hinges by a company here in Florida.

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Easy Peasy,,,,
Get something like this for under the mattress:
Depending on how thick a mattress you can use order a Zinus from amazon:

The fun part was getting the mattress down into the cabin. You will want to get a decent electric knife to cut and size the mattress. We pulled the original cushions out and traced the pattern on our new mattress, then cut to size. We got an 8" but should have gone with 6". Have been on it for 4 years now and love it! We also use the mattresses at home. Great value and comfort

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I built both of my mattresses. Fun, depending on finish thickness, mine 6", a 4" firm memory foam base with a 2 " gel topper and a 2" feather or better than feather finish...it will settle to 7". cut all but feather to size, tuck the feather and you have a 2000 mattress foe 200. Works, easy..

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I have a standard 12" thick memory foam/gell mattress in my aft main berth. Made up the wedge shape at the head with some cut cushion. Took a standard memory foam mattress and just cut it to shape for the forward berth. In the end these were thicker better quality less expensive mattresses than could get from the custom guys.

Sep 5, 2019
Hunter 386 Rock Hall
I have taken the original 4” cushions and put a 2” memory foam on top of them. Don’t want total thickened of mattress to exceed 6” because of overhead room. This is comfortable for now but don’t know how long lasting. I was hoping someone had a good experience with a custom manufacturer that they could recommend.

LUS

Jan 30, 2020
Pearson 26 Aqualand
You should try to find a local company that makes boat mattresses. I had mine made with two hinges by a company here in Florida.
Can you tell me more about the mattress you had made? We are purchasing a 380 in Port Charlotte and I want to get a new one. Cost? Time it took to get.

Aug 3, 2020
Hunter 40 Legend Seattle
My solution to this, because the legend has a full size matress in the back was to get one of those mattresses in a box. The are memory foam and vacuum packed to come in a box that will easily fit through the companion way.
I got mine from the local sleep train \ country \ mattress whoever they are mattress store for about $500. They will usually throw in a protector cover which prevents any moisture from getting to the matress.
To help with air circulation underneath I use a combination of slats covered by lattice fence panels. Works pretty well and it is buy far the best boat mattress I have ever slept on.
example of one of these matress companies The Best Memory Foam Mattress with 365 Nights Trial - NectarSleep

Cheers,

LUS

Jan 30, 2020
Pearson 26 Aqualand
Thanks so much. This will probably be the route we take. Unfortunately, the 380 is not a full mattress so we will have to shape it some.

CET

Jun 1, 2023
HUNTER VISION 32 Sunset Cay
I am making a mattress for the AFT cabin and plan to for the V-Berth as well. The V-Berth is in 3 pieces and will fit through the hatch easily but the AFT is one piece (7" total - very firm 5" and 2" soft) and I don't see how it will fit through that hatch space. I got the old one out fairly easily but it was 4" and very soft and foldable. Sailrite makes a silk film that you wrap the foam in, then you suck the air out with a vacuum making it very small and easy to insert in the cover. Has anyone tried shrinking it down while it's in the cover then quickly putting it into the AFT after it's in the cabin? Many thanks for help.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I haven't done exactly what you're saying but when I replaced the foam in my cushions, I put the foam in a large garbage bag and sucked the air out with a wet-vac. It works amazingly well and shrinks the foam to about half the size making it easy to put it in the cover. It should work the same with the cover already on. See if you can find a mattress bag (can be had for free sometimes from mattress stores)

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
We had a mattress made last year by Yacht Bedding. They claim to have details (perhaps even drawings) on hand on all Hunter mattresses but they still had us measure just to be sure. Our H41AC mattress has a slight thickness taper in the starboard aft corner but is otherwise typical Queen size. We opted for the memory foam with a pillow top and find it quite comfortable.

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
We bought our mattress from McWhorter in Fairbury, IL. We gave them our old mattress to replicate, but they can work from a template. They have several grades and it folds in half to get it down the companionway. The nice thing about it is that they have a waterproof surface on the bottom to prevent water ingress

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I am looking to purchase a new mattress for the aft cabin in our 386. Company I used 15 years ago is no longer in business. Need some recommendations.
Here is the best advice you’re going to grt
Handcraft Mattress Company
Ft. Lauderdale

Dealt with David Black
These are the most comfortable boat mattresses you could ever hope for
They are full on custom
Hinges are no issue
A pleasure to deal with.
It’s not the least expensive option, but you will thank me every morning after you’ve woken up sleeping on it.
They also make sheets, etc. fabulous quality !!