Material for a rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

Jun 7, 2006
MacGregor 25 KEUKA lake NY
Went for a walk down the isles of Lowes and looked at some potential material for making a rudder. Choices included solid wood of oak and poplar and also an interesting material, solid PVC trim boards. They have in 3/4 inch thick and 91/2 wide. Is the ida rudder made of PVC? I could glue the two pieces together and shape it to what I need. What do you think?

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
The Idasail rudders are hdpe, not pvc, if you want to make your own, there is an article by the Gougeon bros. about laminating cedar or redwood strips to make rudders and centerboards.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
The Ida rudder is made of a High Density Polyethelene (HDPE?) making it much stronger and worth the price. I think the fake wood decking boards available at Lowe's can have many uses aboard a boat but not for anything structural. IMHO making a rudder from this material would be a disaster; it would bend so much as to be useless in a blow.

As for other materials, it partly depends on whether your boat is kept in the water or not. The red oak available at the building supply stores is certainly strong enough but I have found that it turns black if the finish is penetrated. This would not be a problem if your boat is trailer-sailed and the rudder dries out between sails.

Don't know much about Poplar but from what I have seen at the yard it is too light and prone to split.

I built my last rudder by laminating two 3/4" pieces of mahogany together and hand planing to a reasonable airfoil shape. I had to get the mahogany at a hardwood lumber store. The good stuff is just not available at building supply stores.

This rudder lasted over 15 yrs until it got broken in a "garage accident" involving my kids and the garage door opener. I replaced it last year with the Idasailor rudder and am happy with that.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Our boat came with the Ida rudder (also their centerboard) and I'd highly recommend trying to go that route if you can. Our boat has always handled very nicely despite the fact that we haven't know what we have been doing.

If you want to try making your rudder check my links page below and here .....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-other-people/other-people-mods-1.html

...is also how Dan made....................

................... a rudder for his boat.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Mac

Jun 7, 2006
MacGregor 25 KEUKA lake NY
Thanks for the responses.. Yea I guess that would be too flimsy and would bend when there was resistance. Sumner, I looked at your website, which is great and did contact Dan about his rudder. I asked him about using two pieces of 3/4 inch ply glued together with polyester wrapped cloth and he thought that would work. I just thought after seeing the PVC to ask about it. Thanks again. JMac

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
The problem with the plywood is that half the plys are going the wrong way and add nothing to the strength of the rudder. May be strong enough, but...
I fixed the link in my other post, that is how I am building my I550 rudder and keel. But I have the Idasail unifoil on my v222, big improvement on the stock slab-o-fiberglass.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Thanks for the responses.. Yea I guess that would be too flimsy and would bend when there was resistance. Sumner, I looked at your website, which is great and did contact Dan about his rudder. I asked him about using two pieces of 3/4 inch ply glued together with polyester wrapped cloth and he thought that would work. I just thought after seeing the PVC to ask about it. Thanks again. JMac
IMHO.

if you use a good epoxy and multiple layers, of mat, it will be ok for a while.

you are counting on the epoxy to remain water tight, and as long as you don't break the seal, you're good. but once the water gets in plywood its over, just like rust , you are only buying time...

the plywood route is, 'good enough' to get you out there, But not the proper repair.

now This makes the wooden rudder, a story topper every time!
--- (sumner link:
This is the base stock and the heart of this whole rudder. It is actually recycled Oak from a shipping pallet,

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.