Matching chain to Maxwell VW800

Oct 3, 2024
Catalina 36 MkI Long Beach
Hello, I recently purchased a 1991 Catalina 36 MkI that has a Maxwell VW800 installed. The boat has about 300' of 1/4" HT G4 chain and when letting chain out while anchoring, I would repeatedly have issues with the chain jumping out of the chainwheel. I tried to inspect the chainwheel, but the part number had been worn away at some point. I figured the chain was not appropriately sized and purchased 175' of 5/16" HT G4 chain that was on sale, but realized shortly after that the chainwheel installed was correctly sized for 1/4" chain and the chain jumping out was actually an issue with the mounting location in the anchor locker.

Even though the current chain is the appropriate size for the windlass, I would like to use the 5/16" chain I purchased because it is a more appropriate size for the boat and I am unable to return it anyway. I have been looking to locate a chainwheel to install on the windlass, which I believe is part number 3172/105c, but I have not found anywhere that has one for sale. I was hoping for advice of where I should look to find the chainwheel I need or if I should consider replacing the windlass with the newer model like a VW1000. Ideally keeping my windlass is ideal, but I am not sure if it is hopeless trying to find a chainwheel that has been out of production for over a decade.

Thank you in advance!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you contacted Maxwell?

For reference on my Sabre362 I have a Maxwell VW 1500 which may be a more appropriate size for your boat. I have contacted Maxwell in the past and found them to be very helpful and responsive.

Oct 3, 2024
I did reach out to them and they told me they do not have any replacement chainwheels for my windlass and that they have not produced them for a decade or two. I tried seeing if the chainwheel for any of their current windlasses would work, but none are compatible.

Oct 3, 2024
I assume you had a look at this Catalina 36 forum site?
Chain jumps off windlass - Catalina36.org
Yes, this is actually the thread that made me realize it was an issue with the mounting and not the chainwheel size. I figured out the chainwheel was sized for 1/4" HT because the previous owner had a spare chainwheel stashed away in the boat and I compared them to what I have. It is a 3172/111c which I confirmed is for 1/4" chain.