Masthead Wind indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick

I have a wind direction and speed device on my masthead and the wind speed part is missing. See picture enclosed. Any clue where I can get one of these?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What brand is it.

Tim's link goes to Raymarine, unfortunately the page shows the part out of stock and no price is displayed. You should call the manufacturer of the unit and tell them what you need. If it's an older model you might have some problems. In my case, I had a broken cup on the anemometer's wheel. The unit was a Standard Horizon WS1, which looks EXACTLY like the WS45. What I found out was the WS1 was made when the company was in England. They sold the company to an American firm, and CHANGED the way the wheel mounted to the sensor. Of course, they had long since exhausted the old WS1 replacement parts inventory. In addition the wiring was changed, so purchasing a complete new transducer for $400 would not work with the old display. The service technician's suggestion was to simply buy a complete, new unit.....not what I wanted to hear. Anyway, I ordered a replacement tri-rotor, hoping I could modify it to mount on the existing transducer. The part only cost $15, and I figured...what the heck? Upon examing the new part I could see the difficulty in modifying the hub/axle connection. The backup was to try fusing a new cup to the old wheel. So down to the boat I went to remove the old unit. Unfortunately, a friend of mine offered to go up the mast and, in his effort to remove the unit from the masthead, dropped the whole thing. It bounced off the deck, breaking the windvane, then kerplunked into the 20 ft deep, moss-bottomed bay. Now I have no wind speed or wind direction. But.........actually it has not been a disaster. I bought a hand held wind meter for $80, and installed a pair of mini vanes on the shrouds. Now, I no longer stare at the wind direction display but use my senses to sail and trim. I think I've become closer with the boat without the instrument. I still plan to replace the unit, probably with the less expensive Navman, but its absence has not detracted from my sailing pleasure.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Assuming it is Raymarine

Assuming it is Raymarine ST50, ST60 or ST80, the Raymarine price (yes it is noted as currently out of stock) is $19.30 Deeptronics.com shows this (Raymarine part # D139) available for $18.99 here: http://deeptronics.com/shopping_cart.php/manufacturers_id/112/sort/3a/page/4?osCsid=4f8ba06aa23d4071c55081bce6c48212 Good Luck! Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

R

Rick

Manufactures History

This is what I got when inquired of a local chandlery in NV. Raymarine looks like they have one like it and maybe I can get parts. Hello Rick, The wind unit you describe was manufactured by a company called Talon Industries that later became Navman. To my knowledge there is no longer any one supplying the spare parts for these units. Regards, Mike Calkoen Managing Director. www.discount-marine.co.nz

J

Jim

Another source

You didn't say ecactly who made your system, but here is a lik to Moor Electronics http://www.moorelectronics.com/ They have a pretty good picture of their masthead transducer on their parts page, but they are pretty pricey for what you get. One the other hand, their tech was very chattey with me. Some generic info on their indicators: The masthead direction indicator is a 5K ohm precision pot. The drive to the pot is 5 volts. It turns 360 deg, so it has a tiny dead space at 0 deg. The windpeed is a very low voltage AC sine wave, .7V AC @ 12.54 Hz = 20 knots. The transfer equation is Freq = Speed x .627. Pretty simple systems, hope this info gives someone a place to start if they have to troubleshoot a wind system.

Status
Not open for further replies.