Mast Wiring Harness

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

Have an '83 33ft. Am having the stick pulled. Is their a plug at the deck house level or is the wiring harness continous through the keel step to the bilge then on to the breaker panel? Help! This is a real pain in the .... Thanks

S

Sam Lust

33 Mast Wiring

Having just gone through this, among numerous other projects on my '83 33 I think I can help. The wiring on mine was broken at the base by marine style male/female electrical plug connectors. The wiring goes through a hole battered (Hunter construction technique: never do it clean and proper if the customer probably won't see it!) through the deck under the Kenyon mast base (a black aluminum weldment with 4 sheaves to turn the internal halyards back to the cockpit) and directly into the aluminum compression post. It exits the post through a hole at it's base in the bilge, and heads back to the electrical panel. I simplified my life by running the wires out new holes near the bottom of the mast, and through the deck next to the mast using an upside-down "U" bent pipe. The hole through the deck was closed with filled epoxy resin. I can do any wiring repair or maintenance required without worrying about pulling the mast, which in my ares costs $95.00 each way. If anyone's interested in details I'll be happy to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.