Mast wiring access

Nov 12, 2021
capital yachts newport 30 mk 3 great kills harbor
Hello everyone,
I own a 1986 Newport mark 3
I’m trying to find access to the wiring in my mast to diagnose my mast head light, is there a connector or an access port to inspect the wires? Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bill
I looked at the images of a Newport 1986 Mk3 listed for sale out here on the west coast. It looks like the mast is deck stepped. If this is the case with yours, then your cables are either coming down inside the mast and then thru the deck and down inside the boat's compression post. I would expect the compression post too be part of the Head wall in your passage way. I have a similar set up on my boat. I could not find the electrical wires at the deck. When I pulled the mast, they were wrapped up inside the bottom of the mast. I rewired my 1974 boat and when dealing with the install, I brought all the wires to the outside of the compression post and built a chase around them. Images below.

You have a couple of options.
  • Climb the mast and do the work at the top
  • Take the mast down and do the work
  • Test the wire for continuity from behind the DC panel
  • See if you can find the wires in the area near the compression post.
How old do you think the shrouds may be (10 20 years)? If it is time to change the shrouds then it is a great time to do the electricals - and a whole lot easier with the mast down.

913EB4B6-1DE9-4392-96E8-EFC0E7A1A1B5.jpegF47C1425-E703-4362-8E45-E24AF59398BE.jpegD17E5D26-8846-4EC2-BD16-ED6B79434687.jpeg

Nov 12, 2021
Bill
I looked at the images of a Newport 1986 Mk3 listed for sale out here on the west coast. It looks like the mast is deck stepped. If this is the case with yours, then your cables are either coming down inside the mast and then thru the deck and down inside the boat's compression post. I would expect the compression post too be part of the Head wall in your passage way. I have a similar set up on my boat. I could not find the electrical wires at the deck. When I pulled the mast, they were wrapped up inside the bottom of the mast. I rewired my 1974 boat and when dealing with the install, I brought all the wires to the outside of the compression post and built a chase around them. Images below.

You have a couple of options.
  • Climb the mast and do the work at the top
  • Take the mast down and do the work
  • Test the wire for continuity from behind the DC panel
  • See if you can find the wires in the area near the compression post.
How old do you think the shrouds may be (10 20 years)? If it is time to change the shrouds then it is a great time to do the electricals - and a whole lot easier with the mast down.

View attachment 204832View attachment 204833View attachment 204834
Hi jss, sorry for the delay in replying. The app didn’t send any notification alerts.
The wiring going to all deck and mast lights on the Newport 30 are permanently fiberglassed into the hull during construction. There is no access anywhere except the dc panel and the fixtures I’m going to the boat this weekend and I’m going to search. There is a “plug” on the bottom of the mast port side, by plug I mean it kind of looks like a freeze out plug on an old Chevy 350. I’m hoping popping that out will reveal some access to the wires. Also at the top of my compression post there is a cut out which is filled in with a piece of what looks like cast aluminum or steel with 8 screws securing it to the the cabin roof. Hopefully there is something behind that. I’ve taken the screws out before but I couldn’t get it to move without using “hammer force” so I decided no to mess with it, boats don’t like to be hit with hammers was one of the first lessons I’ve learned. I have a circuit tracer I’m going to use hopefully that will reveal at least the area where the trouble is. If not then I’ll be climbing up with my multi meter and a very long wire to test continuity. This will only be my second year sailing and this winter has been a huge learning curve. I’m a diesel mechanic by trade so aside from engine repairs, I’ve had to learn everything else on the fly. This site and people like you responding to questions has really helped me. Thanks for your response and your photos, I’ll send pictures this weekend of the points of interest I find.
Thanks again

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
"I’m a diesel mechanic by trade "
I'm sure there will be opportunities for you to pay it forward :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some builders use a wire connector on the deck. They are convenient yet they experience corrosion issues.1651765803777.jpeg

Other systems are similar to my image with the wires pushed down through the mast base. Some builders use disconnects Inside the mast with the through wires permanent. It is a discovery process and then dealing with the cards your dealt.

When sorting these issues out it is often the corrosion of the connectors on the mast head fixture. Exposure 24/7/365 takes a toll on the plastic and metal pieces used for boat parts.

Nov 12, 2021
Some builders use a wire connector on the deck. They are convenient yet they experience corrosion issues.View attachment 205104

Other systems are similar to my image with the wires pushed down through the mast base. Some builders use disconnects Inside the mast with the through wires permanent. It is a discovery process and then dealing with the cards your dealt.

When sorting these issues out it is often the corrosion of the connectors on the mast head fixture. Exposure 24/7/365 takes a toll on the plastic and metal pieces used for boat parts.
I found the wires!!!!
The plug on the side of the mast, when pulled out gives me a 1 1/4” hole that allows me to see the wires. It looks like a birds nest in there. I was able to pull them out and already found broken wires. It was way to windy and rainy this weekend too attention the repairs but I know I’m going to have to do a lot of continuity tests to determine where each work goes, I’m just hoping that I can pull the wires out and not have to repair them though the 1 1/4” hole. Fingers crossed