Mast wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2006
Catalina 30 Pensacola
Does anyone know where the mast wires go after the bottom of the mast? I believe they either go through the compression post or somewhere in the lining. The catalina 30 website's wiring diagrams were not much help.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Inside the overhead

On my boat (1975 Hull 10). the wires go through the step and between the headliner and the deck. They come out on the port side behind the galley. The harness is bonded in and cannot be serviced. :( I don't know how they did it on newer boats.

Jan 26, 2006
Catalina 30 Pensacola
Thanks Moody

I will start looking. Mine is hull # 368, so I'm sure it is the same. Has anyone ever cut a hole on the side of the base of the mast, so the wires come out of the base of the mast at this cut out hole and then continued to run the wires down the side of the compression post.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
I did just that :)

The last time I had the mast out as part of the refit I ran the wires outside the mast near the butt and through a gooseneck into the head area. From there the choices are along the liner to the port side then back behind the port settee and to the panel. If your electrical panel is on the starboard side above the nav station it makes for a long run. The other option is to run them down the compression post and through the bilge to the panel. While I don't like wiring in the bilge, I chose to save the extra 15 ft of wire it would take to run the harness down the port side and over. I used Ancor 5 conductor mast wire (14ga) from the panel to the junction box under the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.