Mast Stepped

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

Are all Catalina Masts Stepped to the cabin house instead of the Cabin floor? What kind of weather limitations does that put on the Catalina's? Are there any other limitations or advice concerning the rig?

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Are you interested in a specific model

or is this just a general sort of question? I can't be 100% but I think the 36 is the only keel stepped model. You'd be hard pressed to find a lot of recent production boats that are keel stepped anymore but that doesn't mean they're any less capable. Generally speaking, Catalinas are coastal cruisers. That's how they were designed. If you want to cross oceans, the least you want to do is upgrade the rigging but as I've said before, the owner will probably give up before the boat does anyway. It seems like you want to know something specific, like could your boat handle certain circumstances. It would probably be best to ask a more detailed question, cuz you're more likely to get the answer you really need. LaDonna

D

Dave

Mast Step

George, The mast on my '82 38 is keel-stepped as are all the production 38's. I did see one in southern California that was tabernackled to get under bridges. But that was a bit of very fancy custom rigging! I think you should check the various models and years for specifications.

R

Rodney Kidd

Catalina Keel Stepped Masts

The following Catalina models I know are keel stepped: C-36 C-38 (I don't know about the 380) C-42 I also think the 470 is keel stepped. Rodney Kidd C-38 #297, Flying Bear

D

Dave Emery

Add The 34

The 34's have been both keel and deck steped. It depends upon the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.