Mast step

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I have a Hunter 19-2. Is the mast plate suppose to sit flat on the mast step?with my mast up and raked aft. The forward end of the mast plate is about a 1/2” above the mast step. Should the mast plate be resting flat on the step?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Another way to ask my question:
with the shrouds at 14% and the forestay 12%, should the mast plate sit flat in the mast step?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat, but our mast step plate is secured to the coach roof with four through bolts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Picture please. I introduced that boat, top selling dealer, on design team and Warren Luhrs who owned Hunter always asked me what to do with that boat. Picture please

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Dave, I secured the upper shroud to the aft eyelet on the amidship chain plate. In the owners manual it appears the upper shroud should be fastened to the forward eyelet. Does the wrong attachment point make that much difference? If so, I will change them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
No. Pictures of the mast step/foot area and also the any room for tuning the shrouds, then I will chime in. Thank you for responding

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Here is the mast plate with the forward edge about a 1/4” above the mast step. Should the plate be flat in the step?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The next question, is there room in the forestay turnbuckle within the roller furling drum to pull the rake forward?
It was rare to see the mast foot seated all the way down on the mast step but the rake would appear to far back. Can you take a side view of the mast too? @WI Rigger

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I will tomorrow. Also, Since the forestay is at 9% and the setting is between 10-12%. I am going to increase the tension to 11% tomorrow. That should possibly lesson the mast rake. I will take a before and after pix.
ThankYou

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
What pictures do you want? I checked the side to side plumb of the mast with the main sheet. The mast is plumb. The upper and lower shrouds are set at 14% and the forestay is at 11%. I tried to shake the mast, it was secure. There is a little movement fore and aft, but not much. I am going sailing tomorrow.