Mast step

JoMa

Jan 26, 2023
Hunter Hunter Legend 386 Preveza
Need some help. I have just purchased a 2003 Hunter 386(sold as Hunter Legend in the UK). The boat surveyor picked up that the pin that secures the Selden mast to the mast step was sticking out and needs to pushed through the mast to secure. Unfortunately when I tried to do this I quickly realised there was no corresponding hole in the mast for it to fit through. I am now puzzled and very worried about putting it in the water. Unfortunately it is not possible to speak to the previous owner about this. I have also looked through the Hunter manual to no avail. I have also been told that the previous owner who had it for 14 years never took the mast down. I have read elsewhere that with Hunters the pin is not actually necessary. Would appreciate some guidance. I have attached phtos of mast step/ hole in mast and the corresponding pin.
Screenshot mast step pin.png
mast1.jpg
mast2.jpg
mast3.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My admittedly limited help to offer is - if the mast hadn’t been stepped in14 years, it’s way overdue anyway so I’d pull the mast in which case this issue becomes moot.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It sounds like you are unsure about the construction and application of the pin.

Does the pin look long enough to go through the mast to secure it to the mast step?

Do you know the Mast Manufacturer? Is there a rigger in your area that has knowledge of the rig?

If the rig has not been off the boat in 14 years, you are likely due a refit of all the rigging. I would be hesitant to take the rig into the Med with out being sure the rig was up to the demands of the Sea. Especially with the age and an unknown loose pin.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I don't know why you need a pin in a mast step... a folding tabernacle - yes.... but the step will have raised inner flange that the mast sleeves over. That pin looks way too short to go all the way through anyhow. That hole is probably for water drainage or something else. ???