Mast step issue

Jul 20, 2018
Catalina Capri 18 Everett, WA
Hello all,
I raised my mast for only the third time and had significantly more trouble getting the forestay attached than previous years. This was with one person pushing the mast foreward from the base and another pulling on a rope attached to the jib halyard.
I eventually got it all attached, although I had to settle for the middle hole in the bow stem plate. (I like to use the stern most hole for a downhaul.)
After getting it all attached I noticed issues illustrated below with the mast step. The leading edge of the mast is catching on the bolt head.
Even with it settled there still appears to be a slight gap on the bottom of the mast.

Does anyone else have similar issue?
The hinge bolt that came with the boat seems very tight. I am wondering if the bolt was smaller the mast would have the play to "wiggle" down past the bolt easier.

Thoughts? Advice?
upload_2019-5-20_11-38-19.png

upload_2019-5-20_11-38-41.png

upload_2019-5-20_11-39-9.png

kayden

Feb 4, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Lake City, MN
Hello, my mast step bolts are pan head phillips and I do not have this issue as there is a lot more clearance than what is shown in your picture.

-Kayden

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You might be able to get away with rotating the bolt head so a flat spot is facing the mast instead of a point

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Agreed. Best solution is to remove bolt, replace with pan head and reseal. Butyl rubber would be the easiest to work with. 4200 would also work

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Agreed. Best solution is to remove bolt, replace with pan head and reseal. Butyl rubber would be the easiest to work with. 4200 would also work
Sory PM. I meant to quote Kayden's setup. I use that butyl tape from Masinsail for everything. I just bedded my replacement halyard winch base with it, following the tip to countersink the deck holes.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
No worries Justin. When counter sinking, I usually run the drill in reverse to lesson the chances of gelcoat cracking. It usually takes 10-15 seconds

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
You could make a small notch in the mast to allow space for the hex head. Probably could be done in place with a drill and small drill bit. My boat has the pan head, phillips bolts.