mast sliding off compression post?

Jun 24, 2007
Macgregor 21 St. Albans, VT
My husband and I are looking at a 1992 Hunter 30T (1992 Hunter 30 Rouses Point, New York - Boats R Fun). Last week the surveyor found that the mast isn't centered on the compression post. The coach roof has an area of delamination, sponginess, and slumping near the mast - which is leaning slightly. (There's moisture the whole length of the coach roof, even under the teak rails beside the companionway.) We're wondering if this boat would be a good investment or a nightmare to repair? Any advice would be appreciated, especially insight into the mast/compression post not lining up. Do they come from the factory like this? Or might my husband's theory be correct that the mast is leaning into the soft deck and sliding on the compression post? Thanks!
Suzanne

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That sounds scary. The load should transfer from the mast, thru the compression post to the keel. My policy is to run away from spongy decks!
My 30T is solid.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
The mast on my '77 h30 is not lined up exactly with the compression post. I believe that is how they came out of the factory. Not a big deal. However, the water intrusion is. The raised mast-step is prone to water intrusion. This requires de-masting and repairing. Also, the I-beam in the bilge holding all of this up is prone to corrosion. The compression post, itself, could also be compromised. You have to remove the woodwork around it to inspect. I've had Fraulein II for almost 23 years now and have been though all this. There's a lot written on this site dealing with these issues. I would take the above advice and walk. There are a lot of good old boats out there at bargain basement prices. Good luck and keep us informed.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
The 92' is all glass the pad the mast sits on is 1'x1' so if it slid off and on the cord deck and that's soft that would be simple but how would a mast base that's bolted to top ever move and compression post sits on top solid glass rib so they don't usually fail

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 92' is all glass the pad the mast sits on is 1'x1' so if it slid off and on the cord deck and that's soft that would be simple but how would a mast base that's bolted to top ever move and compression post sits on top solid glass rib so they don't usually fail
My '91 is built the same way. The mast sits over a tabernacle so sliding isn't probable. The base of the compression post shouldn't be a concern. They are designed better than the older H30s.
Pics would be helpful.

Jun 24, 2007
Wow!!! Thanks for all the great advice! We appreciate it and will get our running shoes on!
It's winter here now so we may not find another boat to look at until spring, but we'll let you know what happens.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's winter here now so we may not find another boat to look at until spring,
I hear they sell boats in Florida all winter. In fact it is quite pleasant to drive down there for a couple of weeks during the Vermont winter and look at boats. Find a beauty. Park it there till spring (in VT). Then make a trip down to sail her back to New England and the summer season.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer you have been advised to walk away which is good advice on that boat with delamination, moisture in the deck, sponginess and so on.

Since I did not see the boat, I will not comment further. However, I saw a lot on new boats but once mfgs. are advised they took steps to advise and correct the situation. Eddie Breeden with Hunter called about a hull to deck issue in a couple of new 260’s were reported leaking. As I pulled the rub rail on a new one I noted the problem. I was asked to travel repair boats. In the end several new employees who failed to do the work correctly were gone. Problem solved. When the Catalina 310 was first built, the mast compression post was not long enough. Catalina owner, Frank Butler, contacted the dealers and in my case the customer as well. Problem solved. There was an issue with Beneteau and again problem solved. Once I was asked by Precision to investigate if too much fiberglass was in one boat. Weighed trailer first and then boat and trailer together finding both within weight tolerances. Brought boat back to my dealership from the other dealership and put into water comparing it with a new recently sold boat by me. Water line marking installed incorrectly replacing water line tape and giving it a new improved bottom paint with barrier coats. Other dealer’s customer Happy. Problem solved.

The biggest note is communication is so important. The advise given to consider another boat is wise to listen to. With new boats regarding problems once the manufacturers were aware, were resolved quickly.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wow!!! Thanks for all the great advice! We appreciate it and will get our running shoes on!
It's winter here now so we may not find another boat to look at until spring, but we'll let you know what happens.
Keep us posted on what you find!

Jun 24, 2007
The surveyor talked to us today and confirmed your good advice. He found 3 major areas of concern:
1) rusty nuts at base of the chain plates on both sides. He couldn't access the bolts but said that if they're as rusty as the nuts and failed for any reason, it could be catastrophic, bringing the rig down.
2) severe cracking in the edges of the companionway, which means the deck is flexing because of all the moisture in it.
3) the situation with the compression post/mast, which he sees as an unanswerable question because even Hunter couldn't explain it to him.
He advised us to walk away from it. He's not finishing the survey and is giving us a discount on the next boat he surveys for us, for which we're grateful.
Thanks again for being there. We appreciate all your advice and expertise!
Suzanne

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's a shame that it is in such bad shape. They sell for a lot more so maybe they knew the cost to repair. I like the dodger and the storage cover. They replaced the original Hood furler too.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
appreciate all your advice and expertise!
Nice thoughts. We here give our advice freely. As in this case our observations were supported by your survey. Sounds like the surveyor is treating you fairly. That too is nice to see.
Stick with it. Sometimes you need to open a few oysters to find a pearl.