Mast rake and weather helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee

When the previous owner installed a roller furling on my Sabre32, they obviously wanted a very long luff for the jib, so the mast rake is quite a bit to aft, i'd guess at least a foot. The aft stay's turnbuckle is screwed all the way down because of the rake. My boat has a tendency to round up, if I sail on a reach with strong winds and even more, of course, if I have waves from the same quarter. In moderate winds the boat doesn't seem to have excessive weatherhelm, but definitely moderate amounts. Anyone any experience with the effects of taking the rake out on weatherhelm? To change the roller lenght would cost me around $500, my rigger said. So, if I don't do it myself....

A

Al Lorman

Mast rake

I have a 32 as well. The Sabre manual says rake (actually, bend) should between 6 and 12". Mine is more than that and I have had the boat round up into the wind. I loosened the backstay a bit to reduce the bend. I plan to have a rigger tune the rigging this spring to get it right since I have little experience rigging boats.

L

Lee Hound

Mast rake

Al, look up the latest articles about rig trim (and feathering props) in this forum that we have written about. This may solve your problem with rounding up as well! Lee

J

John

mast rake

I have aC30 and when a new RF was installed on my boat my riger put what I thought was to much rake in my mast and on my first test sail I found I was right. my boat would get over powered and round up .You should shorten the frount stay so the boat has some weather helm under full sail in 14kt of wind that way in gusts up to 21 kt the boat should pinch up wind and almost stop then when the wind speed drops the boat drops off the wind and starts sailing again with out to much heal.Over 21kt I would reef down my head sail to 120% and reef my main now I have about 3or 4" of rake but if you go to farto the bow you can round down .I no that haveing the right mast rake makes all the diffrence on a C 30

Status
Not open for further replies.