mast raising systems

Feb 1, 2015
Anyone have recommendations on a system to raise the mast single handed? If your system is home made, what specific parts do you use? I saw one system with painter poles but not sure on how the pulley is attached on top
Thanks!

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
I suggest that you Google the subject to learn more. However, if you want to save time just go to "The perfect Solo Mast Rising System!" Also, you can see this system being used on YouTube by a woman who uses the system to rise her Mast by herself, it that easy. Basically, the design demonstrated on this site is on a Precision 23, but it was/still is available on Mac Gregor sailboats. I've copied this system on a Precision 21, a Seaward 23 and now our Capri 22. There are basically three components, Bow Support not really necessary but nice, Mast Crutch at the stern which is mandatory, and the Gin Pole which uses a One Way Clutch type Winch. The ease of operation and the safety features are unequal in my opinion, not to mention that you can do it by yourself! Let us know you thoughts and opinion after you see the videos.

Feb 1, 2015
John Sullivan this is the system in this video I want- wondering how he has the painter poles connected up top. It looks like a light and relatively easy system to pack around

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
The 2x3 A-frame I used for my Capri 22 out of lumber, was replaced with 2x4s for my Capri 25, because the mast is significantly heavier. The better pictures were of the Capri 25 setup.

I am using the same system for my S2 7.9, that is about 30lbs MORE heavy than the Capri 25, and probably nearly 60lbs heavier than the Capri 22 (also about 3-5 feet longer than the Capri 22). To make the device more "portable" I used threaded eye-bolts with wing-nuts at each corner of the A-frame... I usually removed 1 eye-bolt from the corner, and folded it down to a parallel pile of 3, 2x3s. Also I had the racing package, and didn't use a bale at the spreaders, I used my Spinnaker ring (much lower, so harder initial pull).. Using the spin ring allows you to avoid having to rethread the bale at the spreaders to lower the mast.

The A-frame is the simpler way to raise the mast, because it doesn't require the baby-stays... The painter pole arrangement will certainly be lighter. My total cost to build was probably $5.. as I had the lumber.

By the way, the S2 guys use baby-stays, and the spinnaker pole in a gin pole arrangement. It seems to be the preferred way to raise the mast.

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Aviator James had a great video of his system posted here a couple years back. I pirated it and made a couple minor, and I mean minor tweeks. The system is inexpensive to build easy to assemble and extremely simple to use single handed. I raise and lower my mast each year with great ease using the simple "A" frame system. Search the archives or send him a message.

Cheers,
Curt

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Carlyle / Carlyle Sailing Association, Carlyle IL
Strowley said:
John Sullivan this is the system in this video I want- wondering how he has the painter poles connected up top. It looks like a light and relatively easy system to pack around
I fear you will just have to be creative and fabricate something on your own. A couple of well drilled holes, a couple eye bolts, and shackles might do the trick. I’m sure there are several ways to join the top of the poles. Since I lift mine manually, I did not arrange such a system. However, I always liked the idea of having mechanical assistance.

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
I used two steel plates to bolt the poles together.
The pulley is bolted in between the the two poles.
I hope this photo clarifies it a little...

And yes, it's very light and easy to use!
I store it along the trailer frame with a bungie.