Mast Raising System

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trish

We recently purchased a 1991 MacGregor 26 and plan to trailer the boat to several area lakes. We read about a mast raising system in the owners manual. Our boat does not have this option. We would like to hear from any owners who might have either purchased one or made their own. Is it worth it? Does it make raising the mast easier and safer? Thanks!

M

Mark Alexander

26D

Must first 10 times I raised and lowered my mast i used the Mast Raising system. I have found that if I have my wife hold the jib line while I hoist the mast up, I save about 10 minutes having to not attach and unattach it. Fortuntaly I have the height and strenth to lift it. I will admit that having the baby stay at the bottom of the mast probably make all the difference. It does not make it easier to lift. It makes it safer and more stable just in case. If you have baby stays, give it a try. I am still confident that I could do it solo anyway. One you have the mast pressed over your head. Thats the hardest part.

D

Doug Rodrigues

No raising system....

I believe that the Mac 25 has the same mast as the 26? Could be wrong. I raise and lower my mast without using any supplimental assistance. With the sliding hatch closed, I straddle the mast and lift. No problem going up, but the problem is putting that mast back down. It's very easy to lose control and allow the mast to lower too fast and hit the stern pulpit. It's a touchy situation doing it solo. A second person to help would make it much safer. But I agree with the idea that using the mast raising system takes too long. Another consideration: If the single person raising the mast doesn't weigh at least 200 lbs., it'll be a tough lift without a raising system.

D

dan

Copy it!

Hi Trish...... My 98'26X came with the mast raising system. It is a MUST for safety, specially when comming down, as Doug mentioned. The mast PRESS up is a lot of weight to get away from you. The mast raising system is just a 6'alluminum pole, two blocks and 50' of 5/16 line! Find a local owner and copy it.You will also need small side support stay wires for stability on the way up and down. It works great and the time is worth it for safety and less pulled body parts! happy mast raising.......dan

M

Michael Shomate

Worth the money...

I purchased my 26x this spring. We have raised/lower the mast 15+ times since new. As well as I can remember without looking it up, the mast raising system costs about $98. It has given us a lot of security and confidence when raising/lowering. It's also very nice to have somthing to hold the mast securely while attaching the roller furler/jib line up front. When considering the cost of a new mast and the damage (besides the mast) that could be done by dropping the mast onto the boat, I look on the one time price of $98 as CHEAP insurance (in addition to my $135/yr policy). Knowing what I know now, I would gladly pay twice the price! Michael Shomate Charlotte, NC

M

Mike

Worth more than the money

When I purchased mu Mac at a marina in Oxnard CA, I also met a nice couple who had just bought one for next to nothing at an abanconded yacht sale. I wish I had gotten their deal. They had a nice trailer (dual axle) and the boat was in real good condition for the price. When they lowered the mast, it got away from them, went to port, and ripped the mount plate and a 2 foot square section of cabin roof right off the top of the cabin. Get a system. It may seem slow but the first time you pay for major fiberglass repairs you'll wish you had. Happy sailing Mike

P

Paul

Worth it

I have one on a 26x and I think it is well worth it. Gives you lots of control and confidence. You can also use it to drop the mast while underway to clear bridges.

T

Todd

any pics?

I have a rhodes 22 and the maker wants $700 for his mast raising system. I came up with a home-made mast crane that is mounted to the tongue of my trailer and uses the 7/32' winch cable. It also doubles as the forward cradle for my mast to keep it up off of the bow rail in transit. It is heavy and WAY WAY over engineered. I made it without ever seeing anyone raise or lower a mast. But to be able to lower the mast to clear a low bridge, with an aluminum pole and 5/16" line?? I need, really need to see the design.

J

Jerry

Worth it every cent!

Last I checked, the Mast Raising System cost about $99.00 (plus tax). By the time you purchase parts, put in labor to make it, . . . Heck, just order one from Havencraft, SuperSport, or Blue Water. -Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.